How to summarize comments without pg, author, subject, etc.

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have created some pdfs tutorials showing common tasks.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

truthling
User

How to summarize comments without pg, author, subject, etc.

Post by truthling »

The reason I found PDF Xchange was by searching for a way to extract highlighted text from a PDF. I can do this by summarizing comments, but is there a way to get the summary without extra information I don't want?

For example, this is what I get:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Summary of Comments on Tonal Harmony
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page: 231
Author: User Subject: Highlight Date: 2/5/2015, 8:15:32 AM
1. The 3rd (ˆ7) resolves up by step to ˆ1.
2. The 7th (ˆ4) resolves down by step to ˆ3.

Is there a way to get ONLY the highleted info, without the page, author, subject, date, and time?

That would be amazing!

Thank you,
Andrew
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: How to summarize comments without pg, author, subject, e

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Noted - but cannot promise ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Peter28
User

Post by Peter28 »

Dear Tracker Team,

The wish to extract marked/highlighted text WITHOUT any additional information is already very old (see https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... ght#p88469).

Why is nothing happening? Could you please explain? Can we expect this feature at all (please be specific).

Looking forward to reading from you soon.

Regards,

Peter
truthling
User

Post by truthling »

At the time of posting this comment I had no programming skills. Now I realize this would be incredibly easy to extract only the needed info from the files produced by PDF Xchange with simple. However, now I don't use PDF Xchange now that I'm using a Mac :(

I'll be looking for similar functionality from a different PDF reader.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello truthling,

You can try running our Editor through Parallels (a Mac application that allows you to run Windows software), and see if that helps?

Regards,
Stefan
Peter28
User

Extracting highlighted text from pdf - Why no progress

Post by Peter28 »

Dear Tracker Team,

Although extracting highlighted text from pdf is a wish of many people since many years, there is still no practical solution on the market. I don't understand why. I also don't understand why Tracker has not implemented that feature yet despite all the comments. A "highlighted text extraction & summarizing feature" would in my opinion provide MUCH more value to your customers than any of the features you added to your products in the last 4 years. Just imagine a person who reads a pdf-book. With such a feature he could highlight the text that he wants to remember and, when he's finished with the book, he would press the "extract the highlighted text button" and had then a nice summary of (only) the essentials of at book. Hell, each student on this planet would buy your product! Thus, please, dear Tracker team, go to work (I'm sick of waiting ...) or explain here in plain words why you don't want/can develop this feature. Thank you.

Looking forward to reading from you.

Kind regards,

Peter
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Peter,

I believe that we are planning to add this, it's just not considered a priority feature at this time. I'm afraid that you're needs do not represent needs and requests of the vast majority of our users.

Over the last few years, our major priorities have been development of the Editor, Editor & Core API SDK's and many core features of the Editor: redaction; optimization; bookmarks plugin; PDF/A conversion; conversion of/to MS Office fomats; annotation of search results; expanding on XFA forms support; dedicated forms editing/creation capabilities; etc. We've also completely re-written PDF Tools from the ground up.

The above have been the most highly requested items in the last few years and most required the very vast majority of our development resources, over long periods (particularly development of the Editor, XFA support, and the Editor SDK & Core API SDK's).

I'll pass this along to the developers again, but please do note that we do not guarantee the implementation of any requested features.

Please be aware that with some 200 - 250 million users, prioritization can be extremely tough and we have to go with what is most requested. The support forums represent a minority of our user base and we receive most of our feature requests and bug reports via email, so there's a lot that isn't public.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Peter28
User

Post by Peter28 »

Hi Will

Thank you for your nice reply. I can understand - partly.

I believe that if Tracker didn't add automatically extra comments like "Typ: Highlight Seite: 274 Autor: Peter Betreff: Highlight Datum: 24.06.2014, 06:18:49" when summarizing the comments in a pdf, many people, including me, would be already very happy. I believe that getting rid of these unnecessary extra comments could be done quickly without taking lots of resources. I'd appreciate if you forwarded that also to the development team.

Many thanks,

Peter
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

No worries Peter!

I'll certainly pass that along to the Dev. Team, but I cannot make any guarantees at this time.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.