[FIXED] Search window borks up alt+tab-ing in full screen mode  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

avada
User

[FIXED] Search window borks up alt+tab-ing in full screen mode

Post by avada »

Hi!

That floating search window (or whatever) screws up alt+tabbing away from PDF XE. On first press the next app/window doesn't get focus (as normal) but it stays with PDF XE. It's a little thing but quite frustrating, and does mock up a windows feature.
Last edited by avada on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Search window borks up alt+tab-ing.

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Avada,

I will bring this up on my next meeting with the dev team and see if we can improve the experience when you have such floating bars.

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Avada,

I will bring this up on my next meeting with the dev team and see if we can improve the experience when you have such floating bars.

Regards,
Stefan
Cool.

BTW the releasing the change-log one version late system won't ever change? It's rather Annoying that one month after 6.0.318.1 came out there's still nothing.
One would expect the changelog at the same time as the release of the version. Why would someone update otherwise?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi avada,

We're hoping to have the changelog for build 318.1 released later today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello avada,

Are you still using an older build?
As with the current one (318.1), even with several floating windows, I am unable to reproduce the issue from your first post - the first Alt-Tab always works to switch to a different application for me.

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Re: Search window borks up alt+tab-ing in full screen mode

Post by avada »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello avada,

Are you still using an older build?
As with the current one (318.1), even with several floating windows, I am unable to reproduce the issue from your first post - the first Alt-Tab always works to switch to a different application for me.

Regards,
Stefan
It looks like I neglected to mention that it happens in fullscreen (AKA presentation) mode.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Avada,

Thank you for that clarification. I am afraid that I am still unable to reproduce this issue.

If possible, could you please send us a video that shows this issue?

Thanks!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
avada
User

Post by avada »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hello Avada,

Thank you for that clarification. I am afraid that I am still unable to reproduce this issue.

If possible, could you please send us a video that shows this issue?

Thanks!
There isn't much to see. Just enter full screen press ctrl+f and then alt+tab.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi avada,

I'm afraid that I'm not able to reproduce this either. Do you have any software that inteferes with keystrokes, such as AutoHotkey?

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
avada
User

Post by avada »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi avada,

I'm afraid that I'm not able to reproduce this either. Do you have any software that inteferes with keystrokes, such as AutoHotkey?

Cheers,
There's no interference it's a PFX-XE bug. Caused by the floating search toolbar in fullscreen view. (when it has focus)
Last edited by avada on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Avada,

If we cannot reproduce it here, and no other users are reporting the same problem, then it is specific to your system in some way. That doesn't mean it's not our bug, it just means that we need to know what's different. That's why I asked if you have anything like AutoHotkey installed.

Is there anything like that on your system?
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
avada
User

Post by avada »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Avada,

If we cannot reproduce it here, and no other users are reporting the same problem, then it is specific to your system in some way. That doesn't mean it's not our bug, it just means that we need to know what's different. That's why I asked if you have anything like AutoHotkey installed.

Is there anything like that on your system?
Nope.
I gave every information to reproduce. If you can't you're probably doing it wrong. It's always been like this.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi avada,

Being difficult and purposely obtuse will not help you. I'm not asking for this information to be difficult or to deny that there may be an issue with our software, I'm asking for information to potentially help us reproduce the bug.

Here's what we've done:

1) Open a document.
2) F11 to start fullscreen mode.
3) Ctr + F to open the Find toolbar.
4) Alt + Tab to switch to another Window.
5) Window has complete keyboard focus without requiring extra mouse clicks.

As I said previously, if we cannot reproduce the problem and no other users are reporting the issue, then it is undeniably specific to your system. This is not abnormal and is something that any and every software manufacturer deals with constantly; not every bug can be reproduced on every system.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
avada
User

Post by avada »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi avada,

Being difficult and purposely obtuse will not help you. I'm not asking for this information to be difficult or to deny that there may be an issue with our software, I'm asking for information to potentially help us reproduce the bug.

Here's what we've done:

1) Open a document.
4) Alt + Tab to switch to another Window.

As I said previously, if we cannot reproduce the problem and no other users are reporting the issue, then it is undeniably specific to your system. This is not abnormal and is something that any and every software manufacturer deals with constantly; not every bug can be reproduced on every system.
Are you paying attention how alt tabbing works? Because it doesn't seem like it. Pressing alt+tab once normally switches to another window. Pressing it ONCE (as one normally does to switch back and forth between two apps) in this case doesn't switch to next item. Only on the second press of tab will it switch to the next one. Thereafter it's normal
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Again, being difficult, rude and assuming incompetence is not the way to get help from anyone. It is just as frustrating for us when we cannot reproduce an issue, as it is for you. We don't like bugs, we want to fix them too.
Are you paying attention how alt tabbing works? Because it doesn't seem like it. Pressing alt+tab once normally switches to another window. Pressing it ONCE
With all due respect, where in what I wrote did I suggest that I had pressed Alt + Tab more than once? Let me reiterate:

1) Open a document.
4) Alt + Tab once to switch to another Window.

I don't have to press Alt + Tab twice for it to work, only once. This is why I'm saying that I cannot reproduce the problem.

I'm not attempting to be purposefully difficult with you, avada, I'm simply stating that my results do not match your results. Therefore, I must ask further questions to ascertain the potential diffences in environment and procedure.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
avada
User

Post by avada »

Alright. I ran out of ideas.
avada
User

Post by avada »

Just for the sake of fun I tried with a brand new portable version in a freshly enabled guest account. Same thing... So I can't fathom why can't you guys see it.
It looks like I didn't mention my OS yet: it's windows 8.1.

So here's a screencast: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byfdf ... XFWNjU1a3c

I'm trying to change on one press but it won't work. Then at the middle and the end I press twice to actually change to the next tab.

You can also see for a split second on the very first try that the focus jumps back to PDF XE.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello avada,

Thanks for the screencast, but we are still unable to reproduce this here at our end. Even a couple of colleagues from the dev team had a go at this and could not reproduce it.
Do you have access to another machine on which you can install our products for a test? It seems like you are experiencing quite a few issues with the Editor that are quite specific to you, and which neither anyone in our team, nor other forum users are able to reproduce. So we do believe that it is something specifically happening only on your machine, and if you can run some tests on another one that would be great!

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

Do any of you use windows 8.1?
Anyway I don't have anything special. Certainly nothing that modifies ALT+tab behavior.

Maybe sometime I'll have a look on another PC.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi avada,

what did you find when you tried another PC? I run 8.1 daily with the Editor and I have not once seen this behaviour. Nor have we received any other reports of similar behaviour.

With the best will in the world, an until evidence to the contrary makes itself available, we have little choice but to draw the conclusion that this issue is specific to your PC and not related to the Editor itself.

I am very keen to hear what the behaviour is like for yo on another PC.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
avada
User

Post by avada »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi avada,

what did you find when you tried another PC? I run 8.1 daily with the Editor and I have not once seen this behaviour. Nor have we received any other reports of similar behaviour.
I tried it on a win7 laptop, it didn't happen. I tried it another win8.1 pc and it did happen...
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:With the best will in the world, an until evidence to the contrary makes itself available, we have little choice but to draw the conclusion that this issue is specific to your PC and not related to the Editor itself.
Really? Based on the fact the only PDFXE is affected? "Genius"... I thought you guys cared about fixing bugs, but all you do is waste my time with this.
I reported it, even took a video, you see it. Should I find and fix it for you too?

If you guys don't care then you don't. Don't expect me to run wild goose-chases for you for eternity.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

1; Yes we are interested in correcting issues found by users as our continued efforts to trace this down with your assistance prove - have you been ignored or told we are not interested once or do you see evidence of disinterest from us to any clients reports ?

That's rhetorical just in case you are not sure ...

2: If we cannot reproduce an issue naturally we cannot correct said issue - which that at this moment in time appears to be restricted to one user out of many millions and could well be down to some very specific local circumstances or configuration - development resources are always pressed and we have to prioritise and apply them to issues we have a realistic possibility to reproduce and therefore correct.

3:
I reported it, even took a video, you see it. Should I find and fix it for you too?
As you are the only party able to reproduce it on a system - that would be most helpful, we look forward to your contribution at your earliest convenience.

Many thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
avada
User

Post by avada »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:which that at this moment in time appears to be restricted to one user out of many millions and could well be down to some very specific local circumstances or configuration
But it isn't, unless specific local circumstance is having windows 8.1. The other PC I tried is not mine and doesn't share anything in particular with mine.
John - Tracker Supp wrote:If we cannot reproduce an issue naturally we cannot correct said issue
That's not quite true. I narrowed it down to the search tool, in fullscreen mode. Someone could check the relevant code.

Speaking of... Are there any other floating tools that I can open in fullscreen mode? (for testing)
avada
User

Re: Search window borks up alt+tab-ing in full screen mode  SOLVED

Post by avada »

Fixed the issue in fullscreen mode when Alt+Tab is used to switch windows and the Find bar has keyboard focus. (T# 3722) (27294)
I can confirm the fix. Finally!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: [FIXED] Search window borks up alt+tab-ing in full screen mode

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Glad to hear it Avada!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com