Default setting keeps changing to Microsoft Edge

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pharris
User

Default setting keeps changing to Microsoft Edge

Post by pharris »

I am a new user of XChange Viewer, and I am very happy with it. Much better than Adobe DC I was using before.

One small issue however is that XChange Viewer keeps changing its default setting to Microsoft Edge...happens about once a week. I have no idea why, although it did say at one stage something like the X-Change Viewer app was 'unstable' and the default program was changed to Edge. I can easily change in back, just takes a few seconds but I am sure that will get more frustrating over time.

I am suspicous that the change seems to happen after a Microsoft product updates occurs - the last one change occured after Skype was upgraded. . Just wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen. Is there anything I could be doing wrong that causes this?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Default setting keeps changing to Microsoft Edge

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello pharris,

Thank you for the email. I believe this boils down to what I wouldn't exactly call "incompatibility" with windows 10; more that the updates within windows 10 may not play nice with the old Viewer. I recommend downloading and trying the Viewer's replacement - PDF-XChange Editor. You can download it here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE6.zip

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Using the editor (6.317.1), I regularly see the system viewer (Edge, even though my default browser is Chrome) "taking over" handling of the .pdf file type association. Usually happens after a Windows update. Very annoying and arrogant on MS's part, of the same essence as the Windows 10 anniversary updates which disables USB cameras, etc. Sorry for the rant.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

No Problem Claude with the rant - we have been known to do so internally here too about all the 'territory' marking each of the various dominant OS/Browser companies are constantly attempting - each is trying to protect their own 'space' - not so much from the likes of us - but more often one another, its been going on for years and never works long term - but does not stop them trying and irritating those of use caught in the middle in the process.

Eventually an alternative method of circumnavigating these protectionist efforts is usually worked out it just takes a little time ....
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
pharris
User

Post by pharris »

Thanks for the advice Patrick. I will upgrade to the new version as suggested (and hope MS plays nice with the small guys!)
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com