Deploying Tracker

Support for network administrators. for software deployment and management through Active Directory Group Policies.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Stingray
User

Deploying Tracker

Post by Stingray »

Dear all,

here is another task I have to accomplish:

We have a lot of users that are required to use the tracker software,
about some hundred of (roaming) users that should not use the Tracker Software (to modify PDF documents, etc.) and
some users (200) that are using their roaming profiles at computers throughout the company.

Currently we have just installed the software by request to the client computer.

But, here is the catch.
How can I have the installation (key/start menu entry) defined by the different types of users?

1)
I thought about running with a user group to:
a) install or uninstall the software (or if possible just the license keys)
b) activate or disable the start menu entry (without having the setting in the roaming profile for the user)

But, I found out that removing the keys is an easy but one way task! Getting the license back is not possible.
(at least not as an active license for the user). Evaluating registry settings in the HKCU did not help.

2)
I just found out that the roaming profile feature is getting more and more a nice to have feature for our users.
So they are not using their client they should use.

Any ideas? Thank you for your time, support and suggestions.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Deploying Tracker

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Stingray,

thanks for using PDF-XChange.

you said:
But, I found out that removing the keys is an easy but one way task! Getting the license back is not possible.
(at least not as an active license for the user). Evaluating registry settings in the HKCU did not help.
Are you referring to removing the reg keys or the license keys for the Editor?

The keys are stored in the registry and they are encrypted. If you need to move the license keys between different hosts because of roaming profiles you should unlock the keys so thay can follow the user from host to host: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... erver-farm

Does that address your issue or have I misunderstood?

Regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com