Extract Information from Document for Title

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gr76
User

Extract Information from Document for Title

Post by gr76 »

Hello,

I couldn't find any topics to this, so I'm opening this new one.

Is it possible, to extract Information from a (in my case scanned and ocred) document to put them into the title.
For example, I would like to use the DATE printed on a page in my Title, or a Number, et cetera - so it would be possible to tell the software, at what position to look for the information.

Is this feature available?

--
I'm using PDF-Xchange Editor Plus, V 6.0, Build 317.1
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Extract Information from Document for Title

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello gr76,

Can you please send us one sample file illustrating what you want to achieve so that we can better understand the situation and we will then try to assist further?

Regards,
Stefan
gr76
User

Post by gr76 »

Sure.

I would like to name my scaned documents according to informations in the document.

Here eg i would like to name it 2016-06-06, so it should "read" the date on the top right an extract it.

I'm aware that this will need me to "tell" the software, where the dates are, but I have here around 300 pages of some documents that are all the same layout and would like to scan and name them at once.

Regards
Attachments
example for extract.pdf
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi gr76,

Thanks for the info. - this isn't currently possible I'm afraid. It might be possible using one of SDK's (Software Development Kits), but you would need to first OCR the document, as there is no text information present in scanned documents unless they are OCR'd.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
gr76
User

Post by gr76 »

Thanks anyway.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the understanding gr76,

And sorry we could not help further!

Regards,
Stefan
cajuba
User

Post by cajuba »

Hello gr76,

you should have a look at FileJuggler: http://www.filejuggler.com.

FileJuggler is a little, but powerful tool that offers file automatization based on information from file name, file properties or from file contents (for OCRed PDF files). You can define one or multiple folders to be monitored by FileJuggler as well as rules and actions to be applied. Renaming your sample file by the date printed in the document should be a breeze with FileJuggler. Just tell the tool which folder to monitor, define a move-action (to move processed files from the monitored folder to some other place) and a rename-action with the filename defined as [file contents: date]_rest of the filename[file extension]. In the end you will have your files moved to the other folder and have them renamed like 2016-07-06_rest of the filename.pdf (or anything else you define).

If you download the (quite stable) Beta from the Website you have much more sophisticated variables than in the current release. A 30-day-trial is free. The full Version is 25$ - worth every penny.

Regards.
cajuba
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

We don't usually allow links to third party software for obvious reasons folks - but so long as everyone understands there is no suggestion this is in anyway related to or recommended by us as this seems a useful utility we will leave it in place
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
cajuba
User

Post by cajuba »

Hi John,

sorry, I wasn't aware of your policy. :oops: Please let me state that I am not related to this tool or its manufacturer. I just found it to be very helpful.
But if you prefer to delete my post, feel free.

Regards,
cajuba
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

That's fine and no problem :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support