Insert Empty Pages By Current Location

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gloria dei lutheran church and school
User

Insert Empty Pages By Current Location

Post by gloria dei lutheran church and school »

Hi all!

Is there a way to make it so that the "Insert Empty Pages" command is governed by the currently selected page? I have a large document that I need to insert one empty page from time to time into, and having to manually select the "Document" sized page as well as typing in the page location is tedious, especially when I'm visually go through the document and usually have the page before or after the desired empty page highlighted.

I'd just like it to remember the last inserted page size and then auto fill in the location with the currently selected page. Is that possible?

Thanks!
Tim
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Insert Empty Pages By Current Location

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the post - when right clicking on page thumbnails in the Thumbnails Pane, the Destination info. for "Page:" will be pre-filled with the currently active, selected page. You should only need to select the Page radial button and the "Location: Before/After" once and it will then be remembered for the duration of that session.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
User

Hmm, that's what I was doing but it wasn't working (and I thought that was the way it had worked in the past). I just tested it again on a clean boot and it's still not operating that way.

It's a larger document (close to 200 pages). Could that be causing problems?

Thanks!
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

+1 for this request!

I also can confirm that the auto-population of the "Page:" box with the current page does not work most of the time.

Best regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Could the "Insert Scanned Pages" also be changed to include Current Page? Seems to work just the same way as "Insert Empty Pages" does now as the Page: box does not reflect the current page. Thanks.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello David, Arnold,

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll discuss it with our developers on our next meeting.

Regards,
Radi
User

David.P wrote:+1 for this request!

I also can confirm that the auto-population of the "Page:" box with the current page does not work most of the time.

Best regards
David.P
In the past an extra option wasn't necessary as the bottom option always change to reflect the currently highlighted page. But, yes, if it was intentional to change the functionality of that box, adding in a "Current Page" option would be really nice.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi All,

Thanks for the posts - the first thing to note is that, currently, you will need to select the "Page:" radial button the first time this operation is done, it will then be remembered for subsequent operations for that session of the Editor.

The second thing to note is that simply right clicking a page will not select that page and make it the active page, so the "Page:" data will not be pre-populated. You will need to first left click the page in the Thumbnails Pane to select it, then right click and insert the pages. The page data would then be pre-populated with the currently selected, active page.

This behaviour is going to be changed slightly for the next release, so that the right click does select the page in the Thumbnails pane. This would also render the current page option redundant.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I think I am not understanding something here. I set and used the Page: box option in the Insert Scanned Pages dialog for a document. I then open a different document, but in the same session. If I then open the insert a scanned page dialog the same Page: box should then reflect the selected page of the current document, correct? It does not seem to work that way here. Page 3 was the selected page, but the box was showing 1. It does not seem to matter if I click on the page or not. I have to manually set the page to 3 in the box. The Document Navigation Toolbar lists the current page as 3. Thanks.
Attachments
Insert Scanned Pages.pdf
(79.81 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
User

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the posts - the first thing to note is that, currently, you will need to select the "Page:" radial button the first time this operation is done, it will then be remembered for subsequent operations for that session of the Editor.

The second thing to note is that simply right clicking a page will not select that page and make it the active page, so the "Page:" data will not be pre-populated. You will need to first left click the page in the Thumbnails Pane to select it, then right click and insert the pages. The page data would then be pre-populated with the currently selected, active page.

This behaviour is going to be changed slightly for the next release, so that the right click does select the page in the Thumbnails pane. This would also render the current page option redundant.

Thanks,
Hi Will,

The issue is that it's not prepopulating the page based on currently selected page, nor is it saving the page type setting.

In my case, it default to A4 each time I go to insert pages (not remembering the "Document" selection I keep making), and it populates the Page box with the last page that was inserted before or after, but not the page currently selected.

Thanks!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

That's odd, because I just had a discussion with a user about this, yesterday, via email. It's definitely work for me - are you both using Version 6 Build 317.1? If not, please download and try that:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE6.zip

If you are, then I can only really suggest waiting for the next build, as there should be changes made to this behaviour then, after my discussion with the user mentioned above.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:... The second thing to note is that simply right clicking a page will not select that page and make it the active page, so the "Page:" data will not be pre-populated. You will need to first left click the page in the Thumbnails Pane to select it, then right click and insert the pages. The page data would then be pre-populated with the currently selected, active page...
This is true for inserting pages, but not for inserting empty pages.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Yes I am using the latest version 317.1. "Insert Pages" does seem to repopulate the box with the current page. "Insert Empty Pages" and "Insert Scanned Pages" do not.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

It works for me with all insertion options, but as mentioned before, there's not really anything more that we can do until the next build.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
User

I was running an older version (5.5, 316.0), but as others reported, it's still busted in the most up to date version. Just confirming!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

That's very strange and I'm not sure why it would happen. I can't confirm the expected release date for the next build at this time, but once it has been released, please keep me posted!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Just for the record, this is another issue that is not fixed yet in v.318:
Arnold wrote: "Insert Empty Pages" does not repopulate the ["Page"] box [of the "Insert Empty Pages" dialog] with the current page.
Regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

either I do not understand or I'm getting a different result.

When I select page 3 in a document using the thumbnail pane then right click any thumbnail (note that this is not selecting it, page 3 remains selected) then use the context menu to insert empty pages I find that the page IS used, one just needs to select the "Page" radio button.

With page 3 selected in the thumbnails pane:

With page 5 selected in the thumbnails pane:

In both cases the correct page number pre-populated the "Page" option. It should just need to be selected.

Is that different from what you are seeing or have I misunderstood?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Paul,

strangely, this never seems to work with my copy of PDF-XChange Editor. I just tried it using build 318.0 (pristine portable version).

If I right-click on a thumbnail and choose "Insert Pages" -> "Insert Empty Pages", the "Insert Empty Pages" dialog never updates the "Page" box to conform with the thumbnail just selected.

I tried it with the attached document.

Regards
David
Attachments
Charger-B6-Pro-manual.pdf
(661.56 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello guys,

The thing is that the Current Page from the active Pages View is taken as the "Page:" field value. We can change this, though I do not know whether this will be more suitable. If you prove that the logic that you propose is better, then we will think about changing this feature.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Alex, and thank you for chiming in for the Dev. Team.

My proposal is that the "Page:" field value of the "Insert Empty Pages" dialog should be populated as follows:
  1. If a thumbnail has been clicked, either with left or with right click before inserting pages, the "Page:" field value should always be populated with the page # assigned with that thumbnail.
  2. If a bookmark is clicked and afterwards empty pages are inserted, the "Page:" field value should always be populated with the page # assigned with the page # belonging to that bookmark (i.e. with the page # of the currently viewed page in the document pane).
  3. Otherwise, if empty pages are inserted via Menu "Document" -> "Insert Pages" -> "Insert Empty Pages" (or via the respective Toolbar Button cmd.document.insertEmptyPages), then the "Page:" field value should always be populated with the page # assigned with the page # of the currently viewed page in the document pane (the pane that has input focus if more than one document pane should be open).
Best regards
David
Last edited by David.P on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Ha har! (Laugh like a pirate...)

OK - well David you have piqued the dev team's interest it seems. It is not a 'dead request' by any means. I don't expect to see much discussion about this until next week so don't feel like it's been forgotten if this thread is not updated until later next week.

cheers
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Eero
User

Post by Eero »

Hello,

I have pretty much the same issue, but with insert pages (I don't use insert empty pages, but I think the behavior should be similar). I would like the Destination "Page:" box to populate with the currently viewed page. I don't use the thumbnails view at all because it is not so useful when documents have thousands of pages. Instead I use the bookmark view to navigate.

I understood from the previous posts that the Page number box is currently supposed to be populated with the currently selected page in thumbnails view, but this is also not the case for me. It only seems to remember the page number that was last used for insert pages.

Also it would be great to have a current page button for the replace pages dialog. I mostly use it to just replace one page, so I would set current page as default instead of having to type the current page number twice...
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Eero,

Thanks for the post!
Also it would be great to have a current page button for the replace pages dialog. I mostly use it to just replace one page, so I would set current page as default instead of having to type the current page number twice...
I've created a feature request ticket for this (RT-3694), but please note that we cannot guarantee that it will be implemented, only given serious consideration.
I understood from the previous posts that the Page number box is currently supposed to be populated with the currently selected page in thumbnails view, but this is also not the case for me. It only seems to remember the page number that was last used for insert pages.
I'm still not seeing the same thing with build 318.1. Whenever a page is selected in the Thumbnails Pane and I Right Click --> Insert Pages/Insert Empty Pages, the Destination --> Page: field is populated with the currently selected page. Can you please try resetting your settings (Edit --> Reset Seetings) and see if that helps?

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Eero
User

Post by Eero »

After resetting the settings it worked once. The page box was populated with the correct page number for both insert pages and insert empty pages commands. I tried from top menu command and right click menu command from thumbnails view. All seemed great.

But when I try again, the dialog remembers my selecting the after ... page: options which is good, BUT it also remembers the page number I last used. Even if the page number is from another document or whenever I last used the command.

So it seems that the page box is only populated with the current page number if the page box radio button is not selected, which in my case it always is.

I hope I managed to explain. Now I will try to get my settings back to how they were...

Edit: I'm using version 6.0 build 318.1 on Windows 7
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Eero,

Thanks for info. - I've created a ticket for this as well (RT-3698). I'll let you know when I have any updates.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello guys,

This feature is implemented for the Insert Pages and Insert Empty Pages Dialogs and will be available from the 319 build.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I love to hear news like this!

Looking forward to the implemented feature in the next build!

Keep up the great work,

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Eero
User

Post by Eero »

That's great news! This has been the one thing bothering me since I started using PDF-XChange. I know it looks like a detail but I use that function all the time. Can't wait for the update :)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Not at all! It's something that I've personally wanted too, so you're not alone :) Glad we could help!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Eero
User

Post by Eero »

Hi, this feature doesn't seem to be working anymore since updating to build 320.1 :(
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

That's what I also thought :?
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David, Eero,

If I click on the thumbnails pane - then Document -> Insert Pages -> ... does seem to have the "Page" radio button option selected, and the correct page number populated in there. Did this work differently in 319?

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Something to note for Tracker Software development people investigating this problem.

In the Thumbnails pane you can click on a particular page/thumbnail so that it gets the focus and that also the Page pane shows that page. At this moment, you can use the cursor keys (up, down, left, right) on your keyboard to navigate to an other page in the Thumbnails pane. It is the page number of this last one that gets pre-filled in the dialog boxes of Insert Pages, -Empty Pages, -Images, and -Scanned Pages, and NOT the page number of the page displayed in the Page pane.
If a document has just been opened, the pre-filled page number is equal to the last page in that document, regardless of which page is actually being displayed in the Page pane.

For the other two dialog boxes: Insert Text and Insert RTF, it is always the page number of the page in the Page pane that is pre-filled.

So, at my opinion:
1) it would be wishful that the focus and also the Page pane should follow, when using the cursor keys in the Thumbnails pane for navigating to an other page.
2) that the pre-filled page number would act the same in "all" the Insert... dialog boxes

HTH.
Eero
User

Post by Eero »

Hi,

I didn't realize that I have to select the page in thumbnail view in order for the correct page number to be populated. Normally I don't use thumbnail view as it is kind of useless when pdfs have thousands of pages. I use the bookmarks mostly. Interesting thing that when I have the bookmarks and thumbnails open and click on a bookmark, the page selection follows on the thumbnails view but the page is actually not selected unless I click on it on the thumbnails view.

Is there a purpose for this? In my case I agree with Willy, the actual selection should follow which ever page is visible whether by scrolling, bookmarks or thumbnails. But like I said, I don't use the thumbnails view so there may be some use cases where this behaviour is preferred.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:In the Thumbnails pane you can click on a particular page/thumbnail so that it gets the focus and that also the Page pane shows that page. At this moment, you can use the cursor keys (up, down, left, right) on your keyboard to navigate to an other page in the Thumbnails pane. It is the page number of this last one that gets pre-filled in the dialog boxes of Insert Pages, -Empty Pages, -Images, and -Scanned Pages, and NOT the page number of the page displayed in the Page pane.
That's correct, however only if the Insert Pages dialog is invoked by right clicking on a thumbnail. Currently, it doesn't work like this if a thumbnail is only selected, or if the document pane has the input focus, and then the Insert Pages dialog is invoked by its toolbar button or from the 'Document' menu. In the latter two cases, the insert pages dialog currently always seems to be populated with the same page number that has been used last time for inserting pages.

In my view, this still should be changed as laid out some time ago further above in the thread (I seem to recall that PDF-XChange Editor actually did behave like this at around build 320, and then for some reason reverted back to the build ~318 behavior):
David.P wrote:Hi Alex, and thank you for chiming in for the Dev. Team.

My proposal is that the "Page:" field value of the "Insert Empty Pages" dialog should be populated as follows:
  1. If a thumbnail has been clicked, either with left or with right click before inserting pages, the "Page:" field value should always be populated with the page # assigned with that thumbnail.
  2. If a bookmark is clicked and afterwards empty pages are inserted, the "Page:" field value should always be populated with the page # assigned with the page # belonging to that bookmark (i.e. with the page # of the currently viewed page in the document pane).
  3. Otherwise, if empty pages are inserted via Menu "Document" -> "Insert Pages" -> "Insert Empty Pages" (or via the respective Toolbar Button "cmd.document.insertEmptyPages"), then the "Page:" field value should always be populated with the page # assigned with the page # of the currently viewed page in the document pane (the pane that has input focus, if more than one document pane should be open).
Best regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

While this issue seems to be partially resolved in build 321 (the dialog's page number box seems to be updated correctly if the "Insert Empty Pages" dialog is invoked by right-clicking on a thumbnail), the feature still does not seem to work correctly in case the "Insert Empty Pages" dialog is invoked from the menu or from the respective toolbar button.

In the latter two cases (use of menu or toolbar button), the page number box of the "Insert Empty Pages" dialog only seems to remember the page number that has been used the last time empty pages have been inserted, instead of being updated to the currently visible page in the document pane.

Thanks for checking the remaining part of the issue again!
Last edited by David.P on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

I've updated the tickets to reflect this.

Thanks for letting us know!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Eero
User

Post by Eero »

Hi,

I can also confirm that the build 321 did not fix the functionality of the page number box in insert pages dialog.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for confirming this Eero,

We are looking at that ticket again!

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi @all,

this issue unfortunately still does not seem to be fixed. The current behavior still is like described above.

Regards
David.P

PS: Is it possible to customize context menus? This way, I could move the "Insert Empty Pages" menu item to the top level of the thumbnail context menu (the only place where the "Insert Empty Pages" command populates the page number box of the Insert Empty Pages dialog correctly).
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi David,

Yes - the original ticket discussed further up in this topic is still not solved.
As soon as there are any further news in it - I will post them here.

Regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Stefan!
Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro