Why does Smaller 100dpi PDF take Longer to Split into Single Pages than Original 600dpi PDF?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

NoteApplicabble
User

Why does Smaller 100dpi PDF take Longer to Split into Single Pages than Original 600dpi PDF?

Post by NoteApplicabble »

When I attempted to split this already compressed down to 100dpi file into separate pages using PDF-Tools it brought my entire computer to a crawl. (mouse courser, etc. freezing as it moves across the screen, "Alt+Tab" not bringing up open applications on the computer, not opening Task Manager, etc.) The file opens as normal in every PDF application I try... so I don't think it is a completely corrupted file issue.

But when I go back to a copy of the 600dpi version of the same PDF document the splitting into individual pages finishes quickly with no adverse effect to the computer performance while PDF-Tools runs.

Any recommendations on what might be going on?

I am preparing to process lots of large PDF files that will be arriving already at 100dpi in the future. This 100dpi file I compressed with Libre Office Draw.

Any advice on how to avoid bogging down an entire computer and PDF-Tools would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE:
I re-compressed the 600dpi pdf down to 100dpi in Draw and the new re-compressed PDF is slow to split into individual pages like the original file 100dpi file was.

Sorry, I thought I uploaded the file, but it was too large.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Why does Smaller 100dpi PDF take Longer to Split into Single Pages than Original 600dpi PDF?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, NoteApplicabble

Thank you for the report, The only immediate advice I can give is to try disabling the "multi-threaded processing mode" if it is enabled, as that should restrict PDF-Tools to a single core to prevent it from eating up too many system resources.
image.png
If that does not help, I will need to ask you to send us a copy of the documents directly.

If they are under 25MB, you can send them via email to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this forum topic.

If they are larger than 25MB, you can use our useruploads server, as detailed here, to upload the files (please place them in a zip folder with an obvious name, then email us via support@pdf-xchange.com to inform us of the name and that the files have been uploaded. Again, please include a link to this forum post as well.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com