V9.0.356.0 Placing resized content at top

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Having asked Support by email and got only a solution that doesn't work, and then no reply after two weeks, I'm trying here.

​Whilst this issue is outstanding https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=37149&p=152991#p152792 , what's the best way to get a tool to change the page size to A4, resizing the content to fit, and placing that resized content at the top?

Thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: V9.0.356.0 Placing resized content at top

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi chrisjj,

It seems like "ticket 5688" for the development team has been made by Tracker support.
Unfortunately they can do nothing more than that at this moment.

As a work-around you could think about turning off the check-box "Scale page content according new page size".
So, the Vertical Offset from "Top" will work. The Horizontal Offset should be left on "Center".

In case of "no scaling", I still think that chances are low that there will be text at less than 3 mm from the left or the right border, and so risks to be cut off ? (A4 width is only 5,9 mm smaller than ANSI format).

Kind regards.

Willy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Chris and Willy,

Willy is correct here, the ticket has already been made, and assigned developers, there is noting more that we can do on the support team to address this issue, and you will be waiting until we see an update which can resolve it.

Regarding your email, it seems that it was taken into the folder of one of my colleagues just before he went on his vacation. And reading into the conversation, I notice that your very last email is reiterating the exact same question you asked in the first email of the chain that started the conversation. The same question which has been answered in the other topic you opened on this matter.

We acknowledge that there is an issue here, which needs to be resolved and is actively being worked on, but creating additional topics on the matter, and pushing as a single person through multiple avenues of communication will not accelerate the development team in any way. In truth, it only serves to slow down our response time to all other incoming emails and forum posts. Please, unless we ask you to move to the other, pick a single avenue of conversation for each topic you are opening (be that a single forum threat, or an email), and stick with that.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:09 pmAs a work-around you could think about turning off the check-box "Scale page content according new page size".
Thanks Willy, but that's not a workaround. The requirements include "resizing the content to fit".
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:09 pmIn case of "no scaling", I still think that chances are low that there will be text at less than 3 mm from the left or the right border, and so risks to be cut off ?
The chance can be very high. E.g. where the original is a landscape A4, the chance of cutoff is 100%.
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 pmRegarding your email, it seems that it was taken into the folder of one of my colleagues just before he went on his vacation.
Ah, OK.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 pmAnd reading into the conversation, I notice that your very last email is reiterating the exact same question you asked in the first email of the chain that started the conversation.
That's right. That last reply from Support (Dimitar Djongov Mon, 16 Aug, 11:13) didn't answer the question or in fact make any reference to it.

So I assume the question had been overlooked - even though I had included it in the quoted text as per Support's previous requests to do so to workaround problems with Support's email threading.

Hence I included the question again. If you'd prefer a better way of dealing with an apparently overlooked question, do please say and I'll do my best to employ it.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 pmThe same question which has been answered in the other topic you opened on this matter.
I can find no previous topic with that question:

Whilst this issue is outstanding https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=37149&p=152991#p152792 , what's the best way to get a tool to change teh page size to A4, resizing the content to fit, a and placing that resized content at the top?

My apologies if I sent a duplicate and then missed your answer. Could you tell me the date and location, forum or email, of that previous topic?
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 pmWe acknowledge that there is an issue here, which needs to be resolved and is actively being worked on, but creating additional topics on the matter, and pushing as a single person through multiple avenues of communication will not accelerate the development team in any way.
This is not an additional topic on the matter of the bug. This is simply a request for an alternative way of achieving the result.

Thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Sorry, I do not understand why you absolutely like to resize your pages, especially in case of a resize from ANSI to A4.
It only goes about some millimeters and would offer you the possibility to use the Vertical Offset from Top, with the current build.

I also wonder if it is correct for you that landscape ANSI pages will be resized to fit into portrait A4 pages. I would not like that.
To work around this problem, you could use the "Rotate Pages"-tool in PDF-Tools where you can ask to only rotate the landscape pages. This before starting the resize process.

Kind regards.
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:44 pm Sorry, I do not understand why you absolutely like to resize your pages,
To get the content to fit on the printed paper.
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:44 pmespecially in case of a resize from ANSI to A4.
I don't know how ANSI entered this discussion. I didn't mention it.
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:44 pmI also wonder if it is correct for you that landscape ANSI pages will be resized to fit into portrait A4 pages. I would not like that.
Resizing landscape and in fact all orientations and sizes to fit into portrait A4 is correct for me.
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:44 pmTo work around this problem, you could use the "Rotate Pages"-tool in PDF-Tools where you can ask to only rotate the landscape pages.
The problem with that is the text ends up rotated by 90deg. Meaning the reader needs to rotate the document by 90deg each time he encounters one of those pages.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, chrisjj

In the chain of that conversation, JohnG attempted to offer a solution to the problem (the same one that Stefan and I proposed originally, before we discovered the bug that causes that not to work currently). You pointed this out, and Dimitar followed up by checking on the status of the ticket for you, and confirming that it has not yet been resolved.

Because of this issue, there is no way to automate this process currently. The only way that I can offer to accomplish this, is to resize the page normally (placing it in the center), and then use the "Edit" and "select comments" tools each to move all the page content upwards manually. A quick tip, you can select all page content with the "content" and "comments" panes in the Editor, so that should make this a bit easier as a workaround.

I am aware this is far from a good solution, but it is all that I can offer at the moment.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:51 pm In the chain of that conversation, JohnG attempted to offer a solution to the problem
He did. For which I'm grateful.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:51 pm(the same one that Stefan and I proposed originally, before we discovered the bug that causes that not to work currently).
The same indeed, but I think the reason it doesn't work is not the bug. It is "[ ] Scale..." uncheckmarked.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:51 pmand Dimitar followed up by checking on the status of the ticket for you
And that's where he overlooked the actual question, I think. Anyway, no harm done!
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:51 pmBecause of this issue, there is no way to automate this process currently.
OK, thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com