9.1.356.0 Failure of Resize Page vertical offset from Top

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Hi all. I'm new to this product, very hopeful, but finding many issues so rather than overload support@... I'll bring some of them here. I'm using Complete install, on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Has anyone got Resize Page Placement options from: Top (see below) to do anything? Here the result is no different from the default, Centre.

I'm expecting it to place the original page box at the top of the new page box, but no joy.

Thanks.

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: 9.1.356.0 Failure of Resize Page vertical offset from Top

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello chrisjj,

Welcome to our forums.
The Vertical offset will always do the same - whether it's offset from top, center or bottom. The three options are there in case you know e.g. the center coordinates of your original page and want to move that say 5 mm down. Usually with the top option you would want to offset down, and with the bottom option - up.

Kind regards,
Stefan
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:58 pm The Vertical offset will always do the same
Thanks, but I'm not asking about vertical offset. As the pic shows, I'm not setting an offset. Sorry if I was unclear.

The group is called Placement options and I was hoping to place at top.

How do I place at top, please?

PS Note for others: some cases can be workaround using Merge https://i.imgur.com/jPMmMua.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello chrisjj,

Using these settings (on an originally Letter sized page):
image.png
I managed to get such a result:
image1.png
So for me it all seems to be working correctly.

Kind regards,
Stefan
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Thanks Stefan, but yours omitted [x] Scale page content according new page size.

Demo attached.

PS That label's in error. Correct would be read "Scale page content according to new page size" or better "Scale page content to fill page".
Attachments
Resize Pages settings.png
in_(PagesResized).pdf
(29.31 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
in.png
in.png (30.99 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, chrisjj

The "scale" options you have shown will result in the page being scaled (while retaining the original aspect ratio), to the new page size, and thus should place the content front and center. Stefan however disabled those options, as he increased the page size, the original content was on an A4 (or possibly Letter) size sheet of paper. This is where the "placement" options come into play. Because the new page size is larger than the content, we need to determine where to place the content.

Looking again to Stefan's images, he has selected "0mm away from both the top, and 0mm away from the left" which results in the content being placed in the top left corner of the document. If he had instead selected "Center" for both of the "from" fields, it would have been dead center in the new page, and if he had selected "Right" and "Bottom"... you get the idea.

Following that, the "horizontal offset", and "vertical offset" are relative to these positions. So if you were to do the following:
image.png
The content would appear 50mm away from both the top side, and the right side of the page. It should also be noted that these fields will accept a negative value if needed.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

The "scale" options you have shown will result in the page being scaled (while retaining the original aspect ratio), to the new page size, and thus should place the content front and center.
The program offered me Top, I accepted Top, but I didn't get Top - despite that the preserved-aspect-ratio scaling I requested (and got) should be no impediment at all.
Stefan however disabled those options, as he increased the page size, the original content was on an A4 (or possibly Letter) size sheet of paper.
I increased page size too. But that should necessitate disabling scaling.
This is where the "placement" options come into play. Because the new page size is larger than the content, we need to determine where to place the content.
The placement options should be in play with scale too. Even with scale, the page size may be greater than the content size.

If [x] Scale... had disabled placement, I'd have made a feature request.

Since [x] Scale... permits placement, I'm reporting a fail! :)

Though my bad for not highlighting [x] Scale... in the first message.

Thanks for the remaining explanation. That all fits with my understanding, though as I hope is now clear, it is not material to the particular issue.
Last edited by chrisjj on Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello chrisjj,

I think I understand the problem now!
Can you please check the attached file and let me know if I've described it correctly?
When the content is scaled - but the aspect ratio is preserved, the "Top" alignment seems to not be having the desired effect?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Attachments
problem_description.pdf
(414.03 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:28 am Can you please check the attached file and let me know if I've described it correctly?
Yes! An excellent description, if I may say :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:28 amWhen the content is scaled - but the aspect ratio is preserved, the "Top" alignment seems to not be having the desired effect?
Yes, though I would say "is not having the desired effect". :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello chrisjj,

English is not my first language so apologies if I am not using the most appropriate expressions!

As for the problem itself - I've just created a ticket in our internal system:
#5688: Editor 356: When resizing and scaling pages, placement options settings are ignored.
So that we can assign this to a developer and get it resolved.

Kind regards,
Stefan
chrisjj
User

Post by chrisjj »

Thanks Stefan.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello all,

Just a quick update that the ticket I created for the problem discussed in this topic is now marked as resolved. Please update to build 357 (the current one), and the issue should disappear.

Kind regards,
Stefan