encrypting a pdf

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

egrodsky
User

encrypting a pdf

Post by egrodsky »

I am using pdf tools version 3.6 or clarion 63. I am checking off the box to encrypt a file. I put a p/w in the properties under encryption however when the file is created it can be opened by anybody.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what should be happening when encryption is enabled. I assumed it would prevent a viewer from opening without a p/w. In addition, it would prevent modification to the pdf.

Is there a way to use pdf-tools to create a pdf that can only be opened with the correct p/w?

Thanks,

Ed
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: encrypting a pdf

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello egrodsky,

Are you setting up both user and author passwords?
The PDF specification provides options for you to set both.
If the user password is set - it will need to be specified before the file can be opened.
Once the file is opened - to be able to change document permissions (e.g. allowing/disabling high quality printing) the owner password needs to be supplied.

Kind regards,
Stefan
egrodsky
User

Post by egrodsky »

I ended up getting it to work. I was enclosing my password string in single quotes. Works great now.

I have another question:

I would like to password encrypt each file generated with a different password. On each page generated is an ID number. I tried to use that but when the files are generated it is only using the ID# in the first record generated.

Is this possible to do?

-Ed
Edward Grodsky
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello egrodsky,

When setting up the save paths in PDF Tools - you can use macros, and one of those macros is for an Environment variable:
%[Env:VAR]

- there would be some offered to you, but you should also be able to set up your own custom variables in windows and manage them (this is done externally for our products and you will have to search for tutorials on this online).

Kind regards,
Stefan