OCR open file  SOLVED

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fletch
User

OCR open file

Post by fletch »

I just noticed that if I have a PDF open and OCR it with the option to replace the existing file, the OCR results are not saved, the file is not updated, and no message is displayed.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: OCR open file

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello, fletch,

Could you please tell me what software do you use to OCR the files, and what version is it?

I'm asking you this because you have posted in the PDF Tools section but it seems like a question about the PDF Editor.

Regards.
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

PDF Tools & PDF Exchange Editor Plus 8.0.341

https://www.screencast.com/t/pXni5lIXa
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, fletch

Thank you for the video, with the method you have shown, that would be expected. Much like with nearly any other application which works directly on files, you cannot overwrite a file which is in use by the Editor from another application, even PDF-Tools. Trying to do so, like you have shown, would cause Tools to go through the processing steps, but then fail at the saving step because the file is in use by the Editor.

To prevent this you have two options. Either close the File, so it is not open in the Editor, or save the file to a different location so it is not overwriting the currently in use original.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

The ironic part is I was doing OCR earlier in a similar manner with the destination file open and PDF Tools displayed a dialog telling me it could not save the file because it was open by another application. So I kind of expected the same thing in the example I demonstrated. Or at least a message that the file could not be written.
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

...and here's what that looks like. This is what I was expecting to see in the first video. The only difference is that I'm specifying the output name format. If you are just replacing an existing file without specifying an alternate name, you will not get the warning if that file is already open.

https://www.screencast.com/t/NNKuMhr5zYn
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, fletch

Thank you for the added description, you are correct that there should be an error shown here, I will run a few more tests and try to show this issue to our Dev team so it can be addressed.

[Edit: I have created the following ticket for the issue:
RT#5373: No error message shown in Tools when trying to overwrite in some cases ]

Regardless, showing the error message will not change the fact that you cannot overwrite a currently in use document. As such, even after this has been fixed, you will still need to do one of the two things I suggested above.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

Agreed - since the "viewer" I'm using is actually an editor, it would have exclusive access and not allow it to be overwritten. Will be nice to know though in the rare even that you're OCR'ing some files and forget you have them open. Rather than think they were OCR'd when in fact it had silently failed.

I've just been using the editor because that's what I bought. I view PDF's more often than I edit them. Maybe if I adopted the behavior of using the discontinued viewer that would solve this rare problem. I've not tested it, it's not installed, but I'm guessing the viewer would not lock the file for exclusive access.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: OCR open file  SOLVED

Hi, fletch

The viewer would treat files the same way as the Editor does and cause windows to prevent changes, as they are currently "using" the file to view it. We cannot continue to view something which no longer exists or has been changed, and as such we do "set a file in use flag" so to say, whenever any of our apps are using a file for any purpose.
There is no reason not to use the Editor, especially with V9 and all its improvements coming shortly.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com