Export PDF form data to single file

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

petepuma01
User

Post by petepuma01 »

We are exporting data from multiple PDF forms to CSV file using PDF Tools using the built in "Export Form Data". If we have X number of PDF forms, we get X number of CSV files. We would prefer to get a single CSV file (or XLSX, etc). Is there a way to get a single file with all the form data? Or do you have a process that will combine multiple CSV/XLSX files into one?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Export PDF form data to single file

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, petepuma01

Currently we do not offer any method to export multiple documents into a single file, but that is in the pipeline now that we offer the ability to import form data with multiple variants being used.
I cannot promise a timeline, but it is on the way.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
millsy
User

Post by millsy »

Hi petepuma01,

I found a workaround, using Excel's Power Query, to get all the form information into one spreadsheet, as long as the forms are all the same format.

Once you have all your separate csv files from PDF Tools , move them into a separate folder.

In Excel, open a blank spreadsheet, go to Data – Get Data – From File – From Folder

Pick the new csv folder. It opens a window, click on Transform Data and it opens a new Power Query Editor Window, it should show a list of all the different csv files.

On the first column you should see two down arrows in the header. Click on this, one row will appear, hit ok and all the info from the csv files should appear. You can either clean you date up here or later. Click on "close and load" on the top left and all the info should appear on a spreadsheet.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello millsy,

Welcome to our forums, and many thanks for sharing your solution! I am sure it will be useful to others as well!

Kind regards,
Stefan
labrat
User

Post by labrat »

I was dismayed when I saw the directory containing 150 .csv files, but I found a simple solution to combine the .csv's using Windows PowerShell. Put all of the .csv files into their own directory and open a PowerShell session in that directory. (This can be done by opening File Explorer to that directory and typing "powershell" in the address bar.) Paste the following into the command line:

Get-ChildItem -Filter *.csv | Select-Object -ExpandProperty FullName | Import-Csv | Export-Csv .\combinedcsvs.csv -NoTypeInformation -Append

This creates an additional file named "combinedcsvs.csv" containing all of the .csv files in that directory with the header from only the first file at the top. The only issue I saw is that all of the fields, including numerics, are in quotes, but Excel or OpenOffice can ignore the quotes on import.

I hope this helps folks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)