Remove passwords from pdfs?

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

RHA
User

Remove passwords from pdfs?

Post by RHA »

Sirs,

I just read a similar post here: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=28506

Is is possible to remove passwords from protected pdfs, assuming all files are using the same password? If so, I'd guess the Predefined Passwords Storage plays a role with this feature? If so, how do I use it to do what I want?

Thanks,

Chris
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Remove passwords from pdfs?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Chris,

It most certainly is possible now! simply run the Secure PDF tool and choose the "no security" option:
image.png
If the password is stored in your predefined passwords the document will open and have its password security removed, otherwise you will be prompted to enter the password before it can be removed.

Note that this cannot affect documents with signature or XFA security in place, and you will still be unable to alter those security methods.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
RHA
User

Post by RHA »

Thanks, Daniel! Your help's much appreciated.

Clarification, please... If a pdf has the 2 passwords: 1 to open and 1 to restrict editing, do I put 2 passwords in the list, one for each? If so, how does the tools know which to use?

UPDATE:

In the Predefined Passwords, Storage, I made 2 entries - one for each. Then, I followed your suggestion to use the No Security option.

It works. It removes the Open and Restrict Editing passwords. Awesome!

Chris
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Cciedump.spoto
User

Post by Cciedump.spoto »

This kinds of method doesn't works every time, so without proper password it is useless. If you have permanent solution, do tell me also.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Cciedump.spoto,

This is because the password(s) is/are required to unlock the file. We cannot strip the security from a document without the password, as this would represent an enormous breach of trust. It's also technically impossible to do on a document that requires a password to open, as the document is encrypted and that would require encryption breaking; this may well be illegal, but at the very least would be highly immoral for a company to do.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com