PDF/A Questions

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

oschmalzl
User

PDF/A Questions

Post by oschmalzl »

Hello,

i try to archive Files to PDF/A and secure them, so that they cannot be changed afterwards.

I made a job in the PDF Tools, you can find the order in the attached Pictures.

But it seems that the two jobs "Secure Document with Password Security" and "Convert to PDF/A" are not compatible.
I can either save the document to PDF/A or save the document with a Password.

I read that the PDF/A Format was established to Prevent files from changes, respectively show changes in a log.
But when i open the file I can klick on the pink button bar and remove the PDF/A Format and change everything.

What would be the best solution for this problem?
Does anybody know if it's true that you can see changes in PDF/A Files?

Best regards

Oliver
Attachments
Enable_Editing.jpg
Secure_Document.jpg
Convert_to_PDFA.jpg
DenisO
Site Admin

Re: PDF/A Questions

Post by DenisO »

Hi Oliver,
i try to archive Files to PDF/A and secure them, so that they cannot be changed afterwards.
unfortunately it is impossible to create such files: PDF/A standard does not allow any encryption. So file can be either secured or PDF/A conformant.
I read that the PDF/A Format was established to Prevent files from changes, respectively show changes in a log.
PDF/A format was established for long term preservation of PDF document so if someone open them in years, they will be reproduced the same way as they were created.
But when i open the file I can klick on the pink button bar and remove the PDF/A Format and change everything.
if you click the button you PDF/A standard will be discarded from the document, and you have to reconvert it after your changes.
Best Regards,
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
oschmalzl
User

Post by oschmalzl »

Hello Denis,

thank you for your answer. So what is the best way then to preserve documents so no changes can be made?
Convert them to PDF/A and then encrypt them with another program? Or save them to a folder where people can only view but not change them?

I am aware that there are a lot of DMS programs out there, but I would like to know if you can achive a preservation / Archive only with PDF Standards as well.

Best regards

Oliver
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

So what is the best way then to preserve documents so no changes can be made?
Could you please clarify your needs? You want to archive PDF as PDF/A , or you want to preserve your documents so nobody can change them? If you want to avoid any changes, encrypt the document.
Convert them to PDF/A and then encrypt them with another program?

If any program secures any PDF/A conformant document, then PDF/A standard must be discarded from them. May be some program secures pdf documents and does not remove PDF/A entries, but these documents become non conformant to PDF/A. This rule applies to any changes in PDF/A conformant file.
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello all,
I am just following up to ensure this post does not get buried under all the new posts before it is resolved.
oschmalzl, can you please clarify as DenisO has asked, this information will be necessary for any of us to assist you.

Have a good day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com