Creating links via selection of area

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MikePF
User

Creating links via selection of area

Post by MikePF »

Apologies if this is old hat but a quick steer would be appreciated. I discovered that icon-links which worked in a (Word 2000) document header no longer work after writing to pdf (this version of Word doesn't support 'Save As' pdf) so I just import the icons (three different ones on each page) and they end up as part of every base page; this is fine because I can add proper header/footer to the pdf directly. But I then want to add the links to the icons. I can do this using the Link Creation Tool (Advanced - Web link) and copy/paste the URL but I thought I'd seen somewhere a way of adding this same link to a set of selected link quadrilaterals ie saving having to do it on each and every page. Any clues?

A related issue which is bugging me slightly is that, having got the links in, I find that the only way of effecting them in the XChange Editor is to hover over the icon with the hand cursor, right click and choose to open the link. The same file opened directly in Firefox or in Acrobat Reader allows the links to be apparent when hovering and a simple left click connects. What am I missing?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Creating links via selection of area

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Mike,

We do have a duplication tool - that will work on links as well - so create your links on the first page, and then just duplicate them to all the others:
Duplicate.png
If you have the link tool selected - left clicks will select the link objects to allow you to customize those further. Just switch back to any other tool (e.g. press the Esc key) - and your links should behave just like in other PDF readers.

Regards,
Stefan
MikePF
User

Post by MikePF »

Stefan

My apologies; I thought I had thanked you previously (I drafted something but must have forgotten to send!) but better late than never. I appreciated your prompt and helpful response but have only just returned to my attempts to use the duplication tool. Because I have a set of links on each page, I did try to do it by setting links inside a text box and then duplicating the whole box; however, the links seemed to be lost in the copies. I presumed that this was a step too far. So I then tried selecting the set of links without using a text box but couldn't make this work either. Then I checked that I could still duplicate a single link and found I could do that but the other content of the link area was not copied. As I seem to be confusing myself further with every step, could I just state exactly what I am trying to do and ask you to recommend the best approach (including such basic info as how to make the selection!).

I have three characters (symbols from Webdings font) which I would like to appear centrally at the top of every page of my document. On the first page, I can attach a different link to an area embracing each symbol in turn (I am assuming the link is attached to an area rather than a character?). So far, so good; each link works fine. The question then is - how best to duplicate that set of three symbols complete with links on to the successive pages?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me!
Can I get a copy of this file (or a less sensitive version if needed) - with a sample of those three symbols and their links and I should then be able to advise further?

Regards,
Stefan
MikePF
User

Post by MikePF »

Thanks Stefan. I prepared a Word document which includes, as a header, a text box containing two characters. I printed this to the attached pdf and the header material is intact although it is no longer in a 'header' (which is fine because I can add a separate header in PDFXE which is what I want to do anyway). I don't think it is a 'text box' any longer either but that doesn't matter providing I can perform the subsequent duplication on the set of (in this case, just two) characters. I have added links to both characters on page 1 of the pdf file and the mission is to duplicate those links to all pages in the document. It would be great also to be able to duplicate the set of links to the same position on each page of other documents. Any help you can offer would be gratefully appreciated.

Mike
Attachments
Rabbit and Hare B.pdf
(157.44 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Mike,

There's no special "header & footer" type of structure in the PDF specification, so while in e.g. Word you edit the header on one page and this updates it on all - in the PDF file once converted - those objects will become part of the base content of the page along with everything else.
As long as you are aware of this - and can then successfully add your links - I am happy!

Do let us know if there is anything else we can assist with!

Regards,
Stefan
MikePF
User

Post by MikePF »

Yes, I understand the business about the headers. And I can add links. My question is exactly how to duplicate those links. Given that the position of the characters on every page will be the same (inherited from the Word document), I assumed from your previous comments that I could duplicate the links and they would similarly align. However, it might be simpler to insert the characters and the links on page 1 of the pdf and then duplicate them together? But I would appreciate instructions either way. Were you able to do it in the sample file I sent?

Mike
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Simply using the duplicate tool on the links should work for you, make sure to use CTRL+Click to select both links:
Then using the duplicate settings like Stefan described,
Ensure you have All pages selected, like below:
Ive reattached your file as I've done this on to show you.
Rabbit and Hare B.pdf
(159.22 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MikePF
User

Post by MikePF »

Thanks Daniel. I needed that step by step instruction - I must have tried every other possible sequence of selections and steps except the right one - it's easy when you know how!

Mike
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Glad I could help,
Enjoy your weekend Mike!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com