Batch Creating PDFs from Multipage TIFFs  SOLVED

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

janeg
User

Batch Creating PDFs from Multipage TIFFs

Post by janeg »

I have used the functionality of the software to batch convert documents from .PDF to multipage .TIFF. It works very well. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to do the reverse. Can I convert a batch of documents from multipage .TIFF to .PDF? If I try to convert more than one document at a time, the tool creates a single PDF file with all of the multipage documents in it. This would be obviously be very useful if I wanted to covert a bunch of single-page TIFFs into a single PDF doc, but that's not what I'm trying to do. Please let me know if I'm missing something in my setup or if this is just not a currently-supported usage.

Thanks!
Jane
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Batch Creating PDFs from Multipage TIFFs  SOLVED

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jane,

indeed you can use PDF-Tools to convert multi-page TIFF files to multi-page PDF files. In essence just create a "tool" that has a task to open files, you can specify TIFF in the file type, then one to convert to PDF and the result should be one multi-page PDF for each multi-page TIFF file.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/files/f ... ange.pdtex

Try importing this "Custom Tool" and let me know if it does what you want.

HTH

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
janeg
User

Re: Batch Creating PDFs from Multipage TIFFs

Post by janeg »

Thank you, Paul. That's exactly what I needed!

You might want to consider renaming the functions in a future update, though. I was trying to use the Create PDF from Images function, which made sense to me since I was converting TIFF files. In the Convert Files to PDF function, there is no option for TIFFs and I never would have known that it would be okay to use the MS Word File converter the way that you did when you set up the test tool you sent me.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Jane
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jane,
You might want to consider renaming the functions in a future update, though.
I must admit hat I tend to agree with you here. It was not as obvious to me as it should have been. I will pass this feedback on to the development team for consideration.

Otherwise I am glad it gave you what you wanted!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again Jane,

I discussed this with the PDF-Tools lead developer and we have agree that is is reasonable to expect both the "Create PDF from images" and "Create PDF from text" to offer options to create multiple PDF files. Currently both of these tools are designed for "Many to One" conversions where as the "Convert Files to PDF" is capable of both.

I have raised a Feature Request around this: RT#3947: Feature Request : PDF-Tools : provide many to many options for "Convert Images to PDF. While it is intended for internal use only, referring to this ticket will allow any staff member to check the status for you.

This is not a promise to deliver the features but a commitment to seriously looking into it.

hth

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
essentia
User

Post by essentia »

i tried it before, but it did not work. it seems that TIFFs won't convert to PDF.
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

2essentia
viewtopic.php?p=123868#p114203
Just made a test - working fine ....
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello essentia,

Yes, indeed it is working just fine.

Could you please tell us what version of the PDF Tools you have installed?

Regards.
NoteApplicabble
User

Post by NoteApplicabble »

janeg wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 pm In the Convert Files to PDF function, there is no option for TIFFs and I never would have known that it would be okay to use the MS Word File converter the way that you did...
In my scenario I was trying to find a way to convert multiple individual PNG images to multiple individual PDF's so that I could OCR them.

I agree that I was looking high and low to find a tool configuration that said it would do what I was trying to do and was shocked to find this thread and that the "Convert Files to PDF" and the "MS Word File" option works to convert lots of PNG images to their own PDF versions.

I know I'm reading this thread 3.5 years later. But I hope PDF-Tools realizes that their app is still not very clear on how to configure the app for this type of mass Images to their own individual PDF batch conversion.

I kept looking under "Convert Files to PDF" for an image type (PNG specifically); or under Create PDF from Images that waited 4-5 hrs to tell me that the 218GB of disk space was not large enough (which made no sense); etc.

The most logical option for what ease of use would be to simply add an option to select to save images to their own PDF rather than one massive PDF. (Or repeated massive PDFs which is the only scenario I can think of that would have made PDF-Tools app say less then 6GB of images now couldn't be converted to PDF's and fit in 218GB of hard drive space).

The other very logical scenario would be to add one of those handy "i" in a blue circle icons for additional information that would indicate that the "MS Word File" option works for image files and not just Microsoft files.

It would save a lot of us users a lot of wasted time trying to figure it out on our own with no success.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello NoteApplicabble,

Thanks for your feedback! I will pass this to our devs for consideration on how to include this extra information in the "Convert Files to PDFs" tool.

And in the mean time - you can probably also do your 1-image-to-one-pdf conversion using the "Create PDF from Images", but then run this through folder monitor. The folder monitor would then call the tool on one file at a time, and will process them for you as needed!

Kind regards,
Stefan