mirror object

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kbrcadman
User

mirror object

Post by kbrcadman »

Is there a tool , or planning for a tool that would mirror an object? We comment on diagrams with PDF-Xchange and although rotate works well with symmetrical objects, asymmetrical objects need to be redrawn if mirror copy is needed.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: mirror object

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello kbrcadman,

Currently there is no such feature, however, there is an active feature request for this which has been worked on. I have raised the priority of the ticket and added your email to the "requester" list.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in the matter.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Is there a tool , or planning for a tool that would mirror an object?
You may try to use the "Transform Selection" feature from Menu/Object. Use "Edit Content" tool, select necessary objects on the page and use such feature. On the displayed dialog set the -100% (negative number) for Width/Height fields.

HTH.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
kbrcadman
User

Post by kbrcadman »

You may try to use the "Transform Selection" feature from Menu/Object. Use "Edit Content" tool, select necessary objects on the page and use such feature. On the displayed dialog set the -100% (negative number) for Width/Height fields.

HTH
Thank-you Vasyl. This works on text documents, unfortunately I'm trying to mirror a stamp object. "Transform Selection" does not currently allow -100% when a single stamp is selected.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote:
Is there a tool , or planning for a tool that would mirror an object?

HTH.
Hi Vasyl, I was not aware of this option! Cool!

I have refined the ticket (2578) to include this suggestion, also that stamps are excluded from this solution. I am hoping this could be added.

Thanks!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
MJN
User

Re: mirror object, ticket (2578)

Post by MJN »

Hi!

This feature would be really neat for those of us doing quantity take offs in the construction industry.

Often, apartment buildings are mirrored from a central axis, so the ability to Perimeter half of it and then copy/mirror would save a LOT of time :o
Could you please update us on what happened to this request?

Thanks.
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

Whoops!

I thought I posted in the PDF Xhange Editor forum -sorry :oops:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello MJN,

Most objects should now have an option in the Right click context menu under arrange to "Flip" if it is possible.
image.png
I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Markt-a1b
User

Re: mirror object (ticket 2578)

Post by Markt-a1b »

Daniel wrote: "Most objects should now have an option in the Right click context menu under arrange to "Flip" if it is possible...."

The above-referenced ticket (2578) seems to have also been effected for PDF-XChange Pro, but a search of https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe8/ for "mirror object" is not returning any hits. A future cross-reference to "flip horizontal" thus might be helpful.

Perhaps tangential to this subject is a "convert to paths" command, which can be quite useful when dealing with a font character or other vector-graphic object. Does the "New Stamp from Selection" command effectively accomplish the same thing? If so, a cross-reference to "convert to paths" might be a helpful reference.

PDF-XChange is a *powerful* program, and I continue being pleasantly surprised by it depth and breadth. Keep up the good work! MarkT
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Mark,

Thanks for adding those reference search phrases! :)

As for "Convert to Paths" - This will usually result in "data loss" if the object is text, and we can't convert raster data to vectors.
"Stamp from selection" will create a new stamp annotation object ('above' the base content layer of a PDF), and if possible we will include the actual text selected in the stamp and not just vectors, but if you then flatten that stamp - I am not 100% sure what happens with the text and will need to test that for you!

Regards,
Stefan
Markt-a1b
User

Post by Markt-a1b »

Stefan wrote: "As for 'Convert to Path" - This will usually result in 'data loss' if the object is text...."

But does there indeed exist a function equivalent to "Convert to path"within PDF-XChange Pro or its companion modules? I frequently use this command in Macromedia FreeHand, with no detectable data loss. In this particular case, I am thinking specifically of converting a graphic-character glyph in the Wingdings font, into the points and paths of a vector graphic.

"... we can't convert raster data to vectors...."

Well, *except* in the case of your OCR facilities converting rasterized *text* into font glyphs! <grin>

In any case, thank you for clarifying the "New Stamp from Selection" command. MarkT
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

The "data loss" in the instance of vectorizing text is that once text has been converted to paths - you can't then just copy it and paste it elsewhere as text. So e.g. OCR will be needed!
But to answer your question - no there is no such operation available in the Editor.

Regards,
Stefan
Markt-a1b
User

Post by Markt-a1b »

Stefan: "The 'data loss' in the instance of vectorizing text is that once text has been converted to paths - you can't then just copy it and paste it elsewhere as text...."

Ah yes, understood, Stefan. Thank you for clarifying the program capabilities. MarkT
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:D
HeadlessOne
User

Post by HeadlessOne »

Hi all,

I have figured out a work around for this that works for snapshots and comments.(might work for stamps too)

what you have to do is:
1.select the object
2. right click on it and click flatten selected comment
3. under the Home tab select edit to go into edit mode for all content
4. select the object again and then right click it and goto arrange -> Flip horizontal or Flip vertical.

As an extra step Sometimes i will do this on a separate blank page and then go out of edit mode and use the snapshot tool to create a new snapshot of my now flipped object so that i can paste/manipulate it as a comment. (often when your in edit mode you can accidentally move parts of the original document when you dont want to so this helps to stop that)

It's not a perfect solution but hopefully it will work for some of you...
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello HeadlessOne,

Thanks for the tips and your effort.

I'm pretty sure that they will come in handy for someone.

Regards.
Baufritz
User

Post by Baufritz »

Hello,

I am joining the thread with an different mirror-problem.

I am using the full version of the x-change editor in different versions (7.0/8.0) on different Computers. But everywhere I got the same problem trying to mirror stamps or any other kind of objects:
In the arrange menu I can see the buttons for Flip Horizontal/Vertical , but it is not possible to select this option. What is necessary to make the mirror-option available?

Kind regards
Attachments
grafik.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi, Baufritz

The mirroring options you see are only working on 'base content' objects. Stamps are annotations, so you will e.g. need to flatten them first - and the mirroring should then work!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Baufritz
User

Post by Baufritz »

Thanks - I will try that.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:D
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com