in the meantime I continued testing, always with the same results.
Attached you can find a zip archive containing one of my test files plus some extras:
- 1 PDF-file I scanned on my Brother MFC using PDF-Editor (no OCR, no PDF/A, saved optimized)
- an export file from my registry (subtree HKEY_CURRENT_USER...CustomTools), as far as I have learned from another post here on the forum you can possibly import my custom tool onto your machine
- 3 Screenshots giving you an Impression of my CustomTool I have created and which I use for my workflow
Here is the step-by-step description:
1. Scanning the paper doc (Brother MFC, PDF XChange Editor)
2. Saving the image as PDF (PDF XChange Ed., no OCR, no PDF/A)
3. Starting my Custom Tool (PDF Tools) with the following steps:
- a) opening the PDF file created in step 2
b) splitting/merging the docs (here I changed nothing, just renamed the doc and pressed enter)
c) OCR (German, medium)
d) Convert to PDF/A (auto, sRGB)
e) Timestamp (http://zeitstempel.dfn.de/)
f) Saving the doc
The size of the initial file was 91 KByte (saved optimized). First I ran the workflow with the PDF/A conversion unchecked (so OCR yes, PDF/A no). This led to a filesize of 328 KByte. Then I ran the workflow with the initial file again, this time with step d) checked (OCR yes, PDF/A yes). The resulting filesize was 15.1 MByte. Whatever I do saving as PDF/A really blows up filesize no matter if I use PDF-Editor or PDF-Tools or if I OCR with one application and convert to PDF/A with the other.
I also tried to upload the final OCR + PDF/A file, but it is to big to be uploaded here. Even if I zip it the filesize stays nearly the same.