PDF Overlay function not in V6

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

T_D
User

PDF Overlay function not in V6

Post by T_D »

Hi,
I just migrated from PDF Tools V4 to V6,
the main function I was using was the Overlay in V4.
I need to overlay x individual pages (content) with x other individual pages (page frame with page numbering).
This was possible in V4,
in V6 I only find the watermark or background function, which seem to be the same tool,
but the can only apply a single page overlay (the same for all pages) to a PDF.

Is this functionality ultimatively lost or did I miss something?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF Overlay function not in V6

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi T_D,

Thanks for the post - it looks like this has not been implemented in Tools 6. I'll speak with the Dev. Team, as soon as I'm able, to see if this is planned for a future release. I may not be able to do that until tomorrow, as today is a public holiday here and I'm not sure if the Dev. Team will be in.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi T_D,

Thanks for waiting - the Devs. have said that we do plan to add this back and are hoping to do so for build 318, if possible. If not, it should be present in build 319.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:...that we do plan to add this back ...
Fine - I miss it too.
In the meantime maybe a "Watermark", based on a file, could be a workaround.
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Peter,

Yes - this is a viable workaround for now, but you will need to make sure that the watermark is not e.g. image based or with a white background -which will effectively hide the original content when the watermark is applied.

Regards,
Stefan
Dahzee
User

Post by Dahzee »

Can anybody shed any light on whether this ever got implemented?

I know there is an Overlay command in PDF Tools but the old way of overlaying one file over another in PDF- Xchange Editor was much better than the long winded way of creating a stamp and then deleting it again after use.

Below is how I have been doing it, based on supports suggestion, but as the OP said this no longer works.

"Open both files side by side, then switch to the "Edit content" tool, and select all the content on the page you want to copy from. Then you can Copy that (Ctrl-C), go to the other document and Paste (Ctrl-V) it there."

Many Thanks in advance,

Dahzee
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi Dahzee,
Sadly it doesn't look like we have any plans to implement this into the editor as it is back in PDFtools.
Ill keep an ear out for you in-case talk strikes back up about it, but for now, the answer is a fairly solid no.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Dahzee
User

Post by Dahzee »

Daniel,

Apologies for the late reply.

Thanks for looking in to this for me. The overlay in PDF Tools is too permanent and doesn't allow you to move anything, so I will have to carry on using the Stamp method which gives me a degree of control and lack of permanence.

What would be useful then is for the nudge command when overlaying a Stamp could be more fine tuned so you can control how far the overlay moves when you press the arrow keys.

Thanks for investigating anyway.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Dahzee,

Glad we could do that much, and sorry we could not offer a better solution!
Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Dahzee.
The overlay in PDF Tools is too permanent and doesn't allow you to move anything, so I will have to carry on using the Stamp method which gives me a degree of control and lack of permanence.
Currently we have no possibility to add overlay pdf as stamp. But you may try to use the "Add Watermak" tool instead. There is also possible to select file as source of overlay-content and after adding that overlay you will be able to remove it later by "Remove Watermarks" tool.

HTH.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.