Delete Passwords

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Mr. Nice Guy
User

Delete Passwords

Post by Mr. Nice Guy »

Hi,

in Version 5 it was possible to delete passwords when using "Optimize PDF".
Miss this in V. 6 :(
Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Delete Paswords

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

You can do this in PDF Tools V6 via "Secure PDF" and setting the "Security Mode" to "No Security".

PDF Tools V6 has a slightly different approach to combine two or more actions on a same PDF file.

You have to use the "Create" icon in the PDF Tools V6 tool bar and assemble a "Tool Actions Sequence", made of the several actions that you would like to perform on a PDF (Optimize + Secure + ...).

Best regards.
Last edited by Willy Van Nuffel on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Nice Guy
User

Post by Mr. Nice Guy »

I'll try this.
Thanks Willy! :)
Mr. Nice Guy
User

Post by Mr. Nice Guy »

Doesn't work.
Can't open the file without the key.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

What do you mean by "the key".

If you mean "the password", then I would say, that is absolutely normal.
If it would be possible to remove the password by simply running an "optimize" via PDF Tools, that would be too easy.

To be sure, I checked with the older PDF Tools V4, and also there I get a question to introduce the PDF's password.

Maybe I did not correctly understand your question?
Mr. Nice Guy
User

Post by Mr. Nice Guy »

You understood.
But - be sure - I did it many times, the password protection could be deleted only by
optimizing the PDF. There was no question for the password when using the file with pdfTools.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Confirmed.

In fact, you have two different ways to protect a PDF:
1) setting a password to open, and/or
2) setting a password to edit and print

It is the password to edit and print that is being removed by optimizing a (in that way) protected PDF, via PDF Tools 4.
I guess this must have been a 'bug'.

In the new PDF Tools V6, when trying to optimize a 'edit and print protected' PDF, there is an error message:
"Unspecified error".

Unfortunately, that is not good for you :-(

I do not know how it is regulated by the PDF-XChange licensing rules, but PDF Tools 4 and PDF Tools V6 can be installed both, without disturbing each other.

*** Maybe Tracker support can give an answer on whether this is allowed or not. ***
Mr. Nice Guy
User

Re: Delete Passwords

Post by Mr. Nice Guy »

Once upon a time, this was one reason to buy pdfExChangePro.
For example, I hate inflated pdf manuals with thousend of languages and most of them are protected...
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Or you can look into this REMOVED, DUE TO INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT. I've used it for years, never fails.
Mr. Nice Guy
User

Post by Mr. Nice Guy »

Yes, thanks.
I know programs or free online services to delete pws. :)
The point for me is the missing in pdftools.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Just a note - this was not a feature of PDF-Tools, it was a bug and security flaw that was fixed. We cannot and do not advocate the removal of passwords on documents that you do not own.

A note to Claude - I've deleted your link, as we cannot allow people to advise on security removal here.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi Will and Tracker Support,

I completely agree with your point of view, and so, you may better remove this whole thread, because the knowledge here above can lead to unwanted use of your software for removing PDF passwords.

*** Although, please do no forget to have a look at the problem with the actual PDF Tools V6 when users are wanting to "optimize" PDF's that are protected by a "owner"-password (= password protection against edit and print). In that case there is an error message "unspecified error". There should be a prompt for introducing the password instead. ***

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

Leaving the thread up should be fine - there isn't too much damning information here and I believe that it was only possible to strip security with quite an old release of PDF-Tools 4. I'm aware of the specific build, but I don't believe that this build can be downloaded any more.
*** Although, please do no forget to have a look at the problem with the actual PDF Tools V6 when users are wanting to "optimize" PDF's that are protected by a "owner"-password (= password protection against edit and print). In that case there is an error message "unspecified error". There should be a prompt for introducing the password instead. ***
I've reproduced this here and have passed this along for further investigation (Ticket # = RT-3507).

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com