Split Merge Tool and Bookmarks

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Hi,

Since updating to build 9.2 build 358 the split/merge tool when merging multiple files appears to provide bookmarks that has x y and zoom as inherit. This causes a very messy result, especially when I subsequently add a table of contents on the second page of the document. Can it be set to precise locations as before which then was handled correctly when a table of contents was added?
image.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Split Merge Tool and Bookmarks

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, RedSharpEye

I am afraid that I cannot seem to reproduce this, would you be able to send us a copy of 3 documents. 2 which have bookmarks present that you are merging, and a third which has been created this way, to showcase the bookmark data changing from what it originally was?

If possible, perhaps a video showing the steps you take to reproduce this would also help.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Hi Daniel

Three donor files, resultant merged file and a video emailed to support email address.

Hope this helps you to solve the conundrum

Red
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

I have tried the same sequence using build 9.0 351.0 and to my surprise the x and y co-ordinates are also set to inherit, however when the bookmark is clicked it always goes to the top of the correct page.

Opening the the 351 generated document in the 358 build and the bookmarks behaviour changes to the same as the 358 document....so it is pdf editor that has changed behavior and not tools.

Is this by design?

Can it be set to be the same behaviour as 351?

Hope this helps to solve the mystery

Look forward to your reply.

Red
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, RedSharpEye

We've recieved your email and I have reproduced the issue. From what we can tell, this looks like a side effect of an intended change we made recently, to meet some specific requirements with regards to bookmark handling. The Dev team is now looking into this case to see what can be done, but at the moment I am not certain what the fix for this will look like, or if anything actually can be done.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Thanks for the update Daniel.

Is it the case that the current version now handles inherit correctly and I have been labouring under the misunderstanding that all my previous merged documents bookmarks functioned ok?

It worries me that my clients have been receiving large files from me over the years with numerous bookmarks that don't necessarily point to the correct location when viewed with a viewer which is not pdf xchange.

I am very concerned. If this cannot be resolved it makes the software not fit for my purpose.

Regards
Red
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, RedSharpEye

Yes, the change was in the Editor itself and that particular case is that we now handle the "inherit" property correctly, much the same way as Adobe and countless other modern PDF handlers do.

To my knowledge, your old documents should not have experienced any errors due to this, so no worries there. However it is possible newly created documents, which use the "add root bookmark" function presented in the current version of the software (build 358.0), may confuse some older applications which did not handle "inherit all" correctly.
The new "add root bookmark" handling (which applies "inherit" to all three fields) is what we are currently reviewing, since it should not matter either way (for new applications), it may go back to the old handling after the Dev team finish reviewing the changes.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Hi Daniel

Thanks for your reply.
To my knowledge, your old documents should not have experienced any errors due to this, so no worries there.
I have opened an old document from 2014 in the current build and the bookmarks are showing the new behaviour, so there is a worry.

As far as I know none of my clients use pdf x-change (in spite of my repeated recommendation of the product), and assuming that their version of pdf software implements inherit correctly, tells me when they have received documents from me in the past and they have scrolled from the bookmark location, the next bookmark click would put them somewhere in the document but not at the bookmark location. That causes confusion for the reader as they don't know what they should be looking at.
The new "add root bookmark" handling (which applies "inherit" to all three fields) is what we are currently reviewing, since it should not matter either way (for new applications), it may go back to the old handling after the Dev team finish reviewing the changes.
But the issue doesn't appear to be how tools applied the inherit as proved by opening a 2014 document in the current build.
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

I thought I would also add that building a table of contents also exhibits the same offsetting behaviour of inherit. It makes a mockery of a table of contents that it takes you somewhere different than the actual bookmark destination.

I am all for inheriting zoom, but not x and y

**Edit**
Looks like I was shooting from the hip with comments above, after some further testing I see that the "Build Table of Contents" feature in pdf xchange editor uses the properties of the bookmark, so if the bookmark has defined x and y co-ordinates it uses them in the table of contents.

In my mind all that is needed to do is to implement a method in pdftools split/merge to form bookmarks that have defined x and y co-ordinates. It sounds simple to me, but I guess there is something in the background that makes the implementation difficult.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Let me explain a little bit in detail.
When we want to go to some page in a PDF document we use Goto action with a specified destination. The destination itself contains information about the page and the position on the page to go at. In the position, we can specify X, Y, and zoom level, or, instead of specifying an exact value for any of them tell to inherit the existing one.
Historically, the Editor when it found destinations with all these values as inherited just made a jump to the top of a specified page, which is against the PDF specification, and what was fixed in 358.

What is worst, when the Editor (or Tools) needs to go to the top of some page, like in the case of the root bookmark in split/merge, it just store such kind of destination is the PDF. That's why old files also changed their behavior.

I admit, that our fix in 358 might not be fully correct as from what I see other PDF applications have not so obvious behavior for this specific case, so, most likely we will adjust how we handle such destinations in the next build.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Thank you for the explanation Ivan, it is much appreciated.

Is it possible when the the root bookmark is generated for it not to have the inherit attribute?

I noticed when using the PDF-XChange ribbon tool in Word, all the bookmarks generated have declared x and y values, could that be implemented when generating the root bookmark in pdf tools?

Red
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Yes, in the new build we will no longer generate root bookmarks with all values inherited.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Superb, looking forward to new build.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
RedSharpEye
User

Post by RedSharpEye »

Hi

I was wondering if there was an eta for the new build?

I'm holding off producing merged documents for the short-term but might just have to shut my eyes and do it.

Red
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, RedSharpEye

At the moment I am afraid we do not have an ETA for the next release. Apologies for any inconvenience that causes in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com