Updater ... Doesn't Work

Support for network administrators. for software deployment and management through Active Directory Group Policies.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PorterRockwell
User

Updater ... Doesn't Work

Post by PorterRockwell »

I have tried ... oh, 7 or 8 times to download the latest PDF X-Change update. In every case, I get between 30 and 80 percent done and then the download fails.

I'm sure that part of the problem is that my Internet access is poor. Still, most downloaders can resume at the previous point of failure. Yours won't.

Isn't there some other way to get this update?

(On a related note, why do I have to download the whole thing? Why can't I just "update" the copy I have? Also, why does there appear to be two progress bars?)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Updater ... Doesn't Work

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello PorterRockwell,

This is curious, could you please send a screenshot of the error you see when the download fails?

A weak internet connection should not negatively impact the updater, it should attempt to recover when there are hiccups in the connection.

An alternative way to get this update is to download the full installer and simply run it overtop of the current, this will effectively update the software. You can download the appropriate product here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

As for the dual progress bars, this is commonplace among many installers, the upper bar displays overall progress of the installation, the lower, is the progress for the current portion.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PorterRockwell
User

Post by PorterRockwell »

Thanks for the reply. I guessed that was what the dual bars meant, but there were no labels so I wasn't sure.

OK ... I'll go for number 9. But I can tell you what they say. There is just a message in the box saying that the download failed.

Also ... when you write "install it overtop" ... Does that mean I just run the install without any uninstall at all? (I just downloaded the full package YESTERDAY. I'm a little surprised that there is an update that requires such a complete overhaul.)
PorterRockwell
User

Post by PorterRockwell »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:Hello PorterRockwell,

This is curious, could you please send a screenshot of the error you see when the download fails?

A weak internet connection should not negatively impact the updater, it should attempt to recover when there are hiccups in the connection.
DownloadFail.jpg
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

PorterRockwell wrote:Also ... when you write "install it overtop" ... Does that mean I just run the install without any uninstall at all? (I just downloaded the full package YESTERDAY. I'm a little surprised that there is an update that requires such a complete overhaul.)
Yes just simply running the new installer will perform the installation and remove unnecessary files in the process.
As for the size of the download Being as 326 is a new build release, much has indeed changed. The full version history is available here if you would like to look over the changes:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... or/history

Have a good day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com