Question about V9 MSI/MST File

Support for network administrators. for software deployment and management through Active Directory Group Policies.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MrBurny
User

Question about V9 MSI/MST File

Post by MrBurny »

Hi Tracker Support Team,

I plan to upgrade all our machines from V7 to V9.
For V7 i used the GPO deployment with the transform file, it worked perfectly.

Now i started downloading V9 MSI and wanted to use Orca to create the MST file.
As for V7, i'm using your Knowledge Base and have already made the changes in "Feature" and now in "Property".
One thing is missing: In the KB you refer to "KEY_REG" for the license key (UNC path or string, in V7 i used the String).

I see "MsiHiddenProperties" with KEY;ORGANIZE,...... and "SecureCustomProperties" with KEYDATA;KEYFILE;.....
Do i have to write the String (or UNC Path) in one of those?

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards
Michael

PS: Maybe the "Knowledge Base" page should be adjusted regarding MSI. It not only contains the old version of "KEY_REG" but also "EDITOR_LANGUAGE" with "de-DE" instead of the new variant "ProductLanguage" with code (list of codes of supported languages would be really nice)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Question about V9 MSI/MST File

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi MrBurny

thanks for the report. May I ask which KB you are referring ot as the two I am familiar with that refer to Orca do not mention "KEY_REG". You said:
One thing is missing: In the KB you refer to "KEY_REG" for the license key (UNC path or string, in V7 i used the String).
But I am only familiar with using KEYDATA and the key as a string in Orca. (Works the same in Intune for that matter, KEYDATA="PXP80-udgdhfjfkf....hdhugjuy=")

So definitely to use a transform to apply a key you need to create a new row in the "Property" table called KEYDATA and it must have the full string of the key as the value. Please make sure there are no line feed or carriage return characters in the key string yo paste into Orca. When you copy the key it usually has these characters so as to format the key visually. We strip this whitespace from the key when pasted into the GUI of the software but Microsoft (both Orca and InTune) do not. The entire key sting must be one line.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... r-products

I hope that helps!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
stevenm
User

Post by stevenm »

How does one do it with .exe file? I am trying to make Intune Package with version 8.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi, stevenm

the .exe installers are not really suitable for inTune. The .msi ones will work pretty much out of the box.

I do not see a license associated with the domain @slouchmr.com so I assume you are doing an unlicensed installation. That is fine, we encourage the use of the "Free" Editor, but you would be better off using the current version. May I ask why you are using version 8? There are many fixes and improvements since then.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com