I need a product that turns pages with a tap

For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."
Lighthouse
User

I need a product that turns pages with a tap

Post by Lighthouse »

I love PDF Xchange Editor which I use on my laptop. For the gym I have an old Kobo ereader that runs on Android 2.3.4 and I use an app called Moon + reader that allows me to open PDFs and turn the pages with a tap. This is great when I'm on the elliptical machine and don't have time (or balance) to swipe. But with my fancy new Lenovo ThinkPad tablet running Windows 10, I can't use Moon + reader. I've also tried using an Android emulator but this tablet doesn't have enough horsepower to run an emulator. I am willing to pay for a Tracker product that has this feature. None of the many PDF readers in the Windows app store have this feature. (I've tried as many as my patience will allow.) But I'm hoping that Tracker has customizable product with this feature. I don't need to convert, crop, merge, edit or do anything other than open and tap to turn pages. Thanks for any suggestions
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: I need a product that turns pages with a tap

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Lighthouse,

Have you tried the latest Editor build in full screen?
When in full screen (presentation) mode - a single tap should take you to the next page.
Yes the initial opening of the file will require a few clicks or taps in the menus, but after that reading the file should still only require single tap to go to the next page.

Regards,
Stefan
Lighthouse
User

Post by Lighthouse »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that works as long as I leave the page size the same as when I open it. But if I expand the page in order to read it, which is necessary, the tap feature disappears. Would the paid version allow me to expand the page size and still be able to turn pages with a tap?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Lighthouse,
In essence, presentation mode should allow a single tab/click to got to the next page, and a double tap/click to go back (this applies to both the free and paid versions). In practice, the next page functionality is lost when zoomed in.
I have created an internal bug report for this, and in the future should an update be needed, please ask here or about this number:
RT#4508: Presentation Mode next page

I apologize for any inconvenience while we work to resolve this.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Lighthouse_Foundation
User

Post by Lighthouse_Foundation »

Well, indeed the double tap turns back a page in full screen mode, but the single tap does nothing. At least that's the case with my Lenovo ThinkPad 2 tablet PC.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Lighthouse,

Can you please make a back up of your current settings - and then try resetting everything to default? Then try and see if a single tap does turn pages forward for you in full screen mode?

Regards,
Stefan
Lighthouse_Foundation
User

I appreciate the help and suggestion. I uninstalled and reinstalled PDF - XChange Editor Plus version 7.0 build 327.0 and have the same results in full screen mode: two taps turns back a page and one tap does nothing. In fact I can't even advance pages by swiping. Maybe it's a limitation of my Lenovo ThinkPad tablet.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Lighthouse_Foundation,

Can you please open the Editor and navigate to File -> Preferences -> Full Screen - and check if your options in there are the same as here for me:
full_screen.png
As with thouse - a single click does advance for me to the next page, and a double click gets me back a page.
I am testing on a non-touch device - so using mouse clicks, but your single and double tap should be interpreted the same way!

Regards,
Stefan
Lighthouse_Foundation
User

Stefan,

Yes, my settings are identical but I have figured out the problem. Single tapping the screen works fine when I open the file and leave it the original size. But the letters are too small to read that way, so I expand the image on my screen. Curiously, double tapping still works with the image expanded, and swiping allows me to move up and down the page. But single tapping is disabled. I looked for a setting that would correct this, but don't find one.

Nonetheless, I still enjoy using PDF Xchange Editor Plus on my work laptop so I've certainly got my money's worth and think it's a great product. If your developers find a way to allow single tapping with the image expanded, please let me know. In the meantime I'll continue to use my old Kobo Vox e-reader at the gym.

Thanks again for your help.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

I will try to remember to come and notify you here when the ticket is marked as implemented. :)
Have a great day!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Cciedump.spoto
User

Post by Cciedump.spoto »

I have come across, such tools, but it is not that much useful, as you seem to it. You should do it manually as it is going to less than a second.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Cciedump.spoto,

I am afraid that I do not fully understand your post. Could you please clarify what about turning the page with a single tap is "not useful"?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com