Scrolling in Fullscreen Mode w. Touchscreen

For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."
beckyleester
User

Scrolling in Fullscreen Mode w. Touchscreen

Post by beckyleester »

Hi,

I have a 2-in-1 (yoga 910). I have no problems scrolling using the touchscreen normally, but when I am in full-screen mode I have problems scrolling to the next page of a pdf. It sort of works when I am in laptop mode and I can vertically scroll, but it shakes a lot and will sometimes skip many pages rather than move to the next one. That doesn't matter because I can just use the keyboard, but when I am in tablet mode and the screen is rotated I can't get it to scroll at all. I've tried both horizontally and vertically. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just not possible?

Thanks.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling in Fullscreen Mode w. Touchscreen

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi beckyleester,

Thank you for the post. Please go to Edit> Preferences> Full screen and ensure that "Presentation mode" is turned off.

Presentation mode will inhibit many functions, and would likely affect your ability to scroll through a document using the touchscreen.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
beckyleester
User

Post by beckyleester »

Thanks for the response. It did help, albeit in an unexpected way.

Presentation mode was actually already turned off, but when I tried turning it on I was able tap to move to the next page. This is a huge improvement!

My only problem now is moving to the previous page. Since the 1-finger tap registered as a left-click for the next page, I assumed a 2-finger "right-click" tap would go to the previous page (based on the presentation mode info). Right-clicking with a mouse works, but on the touch-screen I just get a context menu.

Edit: Actually, I realized that I can use "Go To" in the context menu to move to the previous page, so I don't have an issue anymore.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad to hear that beckyleester!

Cheers,
Stefan
ceneubert
User

Post by ceneubert »

I have with my Windows 10 tablet/laptop convertible and the PDF XChange Editor the same situation like beckyleester:
In full-screen mode scrolling with the usual up/down/left/right swipe is not possible and there doesn't seem to be a setting for it. If "presentation mode" is enabled I can tap the screen to go to the next page. Unfortunately, there is no gesture to go to the previous page. So to navigate back, I have to tap in the lower left corner to bring up the navigation toolbar. It's working, but it is slower than e.g. the (soon to be discontinued) default Win 10 "Reader" app in full screen, where you can scroll in full screen just like in window mode.
I know the mentioned app is very different in functionality - but I really want to use PDF XChange Editor for reading PDFs as well as for working with them. Having a full screen mode that is quick to navigate on a touch screen would do that. Is there a way for me to change settings to achieve that? Or can I hope for an update that makes that possible?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi ceneubert,

I've asked the Editor lead developer to give me his thoughts on this. I'll post what he has to say when I get his reply.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
ceneubert
User

Post by ceneubert »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi ceneubert,

I've asked the Editor lead developer to give me his thoughts on this. I'll post what he has to say when I get his reply.

hth
Hi Paul,
thank you for asking. Any news on that issue?
Greetings!
Conrad
rado
User

Post by rado »

hello, is there any progress on this future? Ive tested the mentioned suggestion and none of them solve my problems.

I have Yoga 920 (13") - 2 in 1 Laptop. It is a windows laptop convertible that can be used in a tablet mode.
Your software is almost perfect for reading PDF files. Many if not most of my files I read require to jump back and forth between various pages.

The one biggest issue and a missing feature is the ability to scroll back in full screen mode.
I would prefer as well to gradually scroll to the next page instead of to flip to next page when you tap on the screen with you finger.
The other missing feature is the ability to adjust/change the zoom/fit width of the page in full screen

How I would like to use my laptop with your software.
- open pdf, crop it to remove the left right margin (*)
- enter into full screen mode in the reader by pressing F11
- convert the laptop into tablet and start to read it.
- i mostly read in the vertical mode and need to easily jump back and forth.

At the moment I can only read in the windows maximised mode. It works but there are 2 main annoyances:
- the scroll bar on the right (it is difficult to press it with your finger in tablet mode; not really can be used for page navigation as its difficult precisely to tap on it )
- all the tool bards on top consume the screen

Regards
Rado
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Rado, Ceneubert,
We've actually been talking about it internally just earlier today, I'm sure someone saw your post ceneubert and brought it up after that, but there is now a bug report detailing a few options. I would like some user input though.

Would you both prefer a quick right click (2 finger tap) to be roll back a page, or would you like a single tap exclusively on the far left side of the page to be the go back shortcut?

Im partial to the far left tap being go back, simply because that is how im used to touchscreen readers functioning everywhere else, but some people seem to thing that right clicking is a better option.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
ceneubert
User

Post by ceneubert »

Hi!
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Would you both prefer a quick right click (2 finger tap) to be roll back a page, or would you like a single tap exclusively on the far left side of the page to be the go back shortcut?

Im partial to the far left tap being go back, simply because that is how im used to touchscreen readers functioning everywhere else, but some people seem to thing that right clicking is a better option.
I actually would adapt to whatever you implement. Still, tapping on the far left would come more naturally to me as well.
Now, thinking about it, I would actually love to just have two big buttons on the lower left and right corner. Maybe looking like "<" and ">" in the small navigation bar that is there now. That way, I could tap one of those any time in full screen mode to go back an forth. Especially while viewing a page zoomed in that would be useful.
Failing that, I would prefer the tap on the far left and the far right to jump 1 page back/ahead.

Thanks for keeping the conversation alive!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback ceneubert!

We will have this in consideration when looking at this feature!
I will make sure Daniel also sees your post.

Cheers,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi All.

In new upcoming build(325) in presentation mode the double-tap(or left double-click by mouse) will also be handled as 'Go to Previous Page'.
In the future we will think more how to simplify the page-navigation process on touch-devices..

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
ceneubert
User

Post by ceneubert »

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote:Hi All.

In new upcoming build(325) in presentation mode the double-tap(or left double-click by mouse) will also be handled as 'Go to Previous Page'.
In the future we will think more how to simplify the page-navigation process on touch-devices..

Cheers.
Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)