Viewer better than Editor, with Stylus

For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."
kaze
User

Viewer better than Editor, with Stylus

Post by kaze »

Hello,

I too have observed that when using a stylus on a tablet PC, that PDF-XChange Viewer works better than PDF-XChange Editor. In particular, when I'm using a physical stylus, I'd like to disable the pencil icon that follows the cursor around. (The pencil icon doesn't bother me while using a mouse.) This difference is a pretty strong incentive to stick with the Viewer for me.

Can displaying the icon be made into a configurable property of the pencil? If so, my suggestion is to offer the following 3 options:
1.) enable the pencil cursor icon (recommended default, for users that use the mouse primarily) (looks like current PDF XChange Editor)
2.) disable the pencil cursor icon (i.e. only show cross hair cursor) (important for users that use a stylus primarily) (looks like PDF XChange Viewer)
3.) automatic mode selection. Pencil cursor shown for mouse input. Cross hair cursor for stylus input. (And maybe a larger cross hair with a finger circle for touch input.) (if implemented, this would be the best choice for a default).

I recommend those options because different users have different needs. E.g. someone did request a change to the pointer in the thread "Making the pointer easy to see":
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=22460

Also I see that stylus and touchscreen integration is an ongoing project according to:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=23535

Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Viewer better than Editor, with Stylus

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Kaze,

Thanks for your post and suggestions. I will have those discussed with the dev team, but in the mean time - can you please check and make sure that you have the current latest build of the Editor installed (317.1 at the time of writing this post)?

Regards,
Stefan