A Suggested Mode for Tablet Users

For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."
lester1027
User

A Suggested Mode for Tablet Users

Post by lester1027 »

Dear All,

I have noticed that when I use the stylus or fingers to read and annotate the pdf documents with xchange editor, I have to often change back and forth between the 'select text' tool and 'hand' tool. Then I realize I do not have this problem while using smartphones to read passages. Is it possible for xchange editor to add a tablet mode such that when the stylus hovers above the words the 'select text' tool is shown and when it hovers above the blank space the 'hand' tool is shown?

Thank you.

Regards,
Lester
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: A Suggested Mode for Tablet Users

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello lester1027,

Thanks for your post and suggestion.
I will pass it to our UI developers for consideration!

Regards,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Lester.

Thank you for suggestions.
when the stylus hovers above the words the 'select text' tool is shown
- I believe it can be implemented for most cases, as special option.
when it hovers above the blank space the 'hand' tool is shown
- there will be a conflict in case, when you have activated any commenting-tool. For example, with the activated Rectangle tool, you will be not able to start creation of new Rectangle-comment on the blank space of page because the Hand tool will capture all mouse/stylus/finger events in that space..

Best Regards,
Vasyl.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
lester1027
User

Post by lester1027 »

Then the "hand+select text tool" can be deployed as an extra tool such that it is a standalone tool different from "hand tool" or "select text tool" or other annotation tools. Thank you.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

I am sure Vasyl has a good plan for this, but I will be sure he sees your suggestion.

Have a great day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi Lester.

The option for "hand+select text tool" will be added in the next upcoming release. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Vasyl.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
lester1027
User

Post by lester1027 »

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and valuing users' suggestions.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com
RLM
User

Post by RLM »

Currently, you really need a mouse and keyboard to use PDF-XChange as a reading device.

For tablet mode, ideally we should be able to scroll and select text without changing the active mode (e.g., highlight, underline, select text, hand tool etc). The default mode is scrolling, but a long press over text activates text selection mode, with an option to move the selection handles. When the finger or stylus is removed from the selected text, a floating toolbar appears and allows the user to select an action (e.g., highlight (several styles), underline (several styles) copy, delete, define, etc.).

Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion RLM,

I will make sure Vasyl has seen this and takes it into consideration!

Regards,
Stefan
RLM
User

Post by RLM »

One more thing - the stylus on my surface pro always uses pen mode. It's not possible to set it to any other mode, such as highlight. That makes it useless for me.

Also, highlights from other PDF programs are not handled the same way in PDF-XChange. They can't be edited at all.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello RLM,

You should be able to change the tool in use for your stylus, by selecting a new tool with the stylus itself. Is this not working for you?

Regarding highlights, might I ask what editing you refer to? when you select an existing comment, we offer numerous formatting options to be edited, the only thing you cannot do is physically move the highlight, which to my knowledge most of our competitors do not allow either. Could you clarify what about highlights you are unable to edit in our software, that you can in another (and which software that is)?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
RLM
User

Post by RLM »

Thanks again for your response. Regarding the stylus mode stuck on the pencil tool, I found that turning off "switch to pencil tool with digitizer" in "Comment Options" fixed that problem.

Regarding highlights - this is not really a PDF-XChange issue per se, but other PDF editing tools (e.g., Foxit, Mendeley Desktop (a reference manager with a PDF editor inside), and Drawboard PDF) handle highlights using a different approach, so that their highlights are not editable in PDF-XChange, and vice versa. The highlights form other tools look different as well - with Foxit, it seems to change the actual text color, rather than use a true highlight like PDF-XChange - but I'm not sure about this. Foxit highlights even caused PDF-XChange to complain about errors in the file. If I stick with PDF-XChange, there is no issue. So, if you can get a really good tablet/stylus experience implemented, I won't need any other PDF tools.

Thanks again for your quick responses and advice.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi RLM.
For tablet mode, ideally we should be able to scroll and select text without changing the active mode (e.g., highlight, underline, select text, hand tool etc). The default mode is scrolling, but a long press over text activates text selection mode, with an option to move the selection handles. When the finger or stylus is removed from the selected text, a floating toolbar appears and allows the user to select an action (e.g., highlight (several styles), underline (several styles) copy, delete, define, etc.).
In the new upcoming build we added new option for the Hand tool that sounds 'Select Text/Images'. By default this option will be turned off. You will be able to enable it on Format tab in Ribbon or on Properties toolbar in Classic (also available in Properties pane). For sure - this property is especially for the Hand tool, so please be sure that this tool is active before. When this option is turned on:

- On the desktop: you may scroll pages by mouseDown->mouseMove->mouseUp process, as usual. But if you pause the mouse over the text or an image just for 1/3 sec, then a new mode is activated to select text/images (cursor is changed) and now you will be able to select text by mouseDown->mouseMove->mouseUp or select image by simple leftClick/rightClick. The dblClick, triClick, fourClick works for the text as well too. To cancel the select-mode you need a simple click outside of the text/pictures. Also, any fast mouseMove-gesture immediately cancels the select-mode and switches back to the normal Hand's logic.

- On the touch-screen: the touchDown->move->touchUp - it scrolls pages, as usual. To start select text you need just simply tap any text and it will activate the text selection mode. Or you may simple tap on any image to select this image immediately. To cancel the select-mode you need to tap outside of text/images. For sure, the touchDown_outside_text_and_images->move->touchUp - it cancels the select-mode AND also scrolls the pages, to get the natural behavior. Also, for case when page has no regions without images or text, to have ability to cancel the select-mode - any touchDown_on_image->move->touchUp gesture immediately cancels the select-mode, switches to the Hand tool and scrolls the pages. Or you may tap outside of page as well.

- On the touch-screen with the stylus/digitizer: the behavior is the same like with the mouse on the desktop.

Please try this new feature in the new build and let me know if something is wrong for you with it.

The special floating toolbar we will add soon, in the future builds..

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

RLM
User

Post by RLM »

This sounds excellent - can't wait to try it!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com
RLM
User

Post by RLM »

This is a great start for a tablet mode!

I suggest for trial use: changing back to hand mode when the stylus is 1) pressed on the glass for @ 1/2 second, 2) not moving, and 3) no text is selected. I also suggest that the speed required to switch back to hand mode is maybe a bit slower. I find myself selecting text when I really want to move the page, although I can cheat by rapidly moving the stylus up and down to engage hand mode. Currently, I sometimes have to swipe very fast to switch to hand mode. However, if text is already selected, I think I should probably have to tap the screen (i.e., to deselect the text/image) before hand mode can resume. I would also like to see the page scroll a little faster with the stylus, and perhaps all these settings could be configurable.

Also, it would be great if double clicking a word would always start selection mode and also would select the word. Having "selection handles" to help resize the selected text would be great too.

Here's something that would help me in tablet markup mode (e.g., highlight, underline, etc): If my stylus did the markup, but my finger moved the page.

Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello RLM,

Many thanks for your comments on the new fature!
I will ask my colleagues who worked on it to take a look and make sure that those are considered for future improvements!

Season's greetings,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi RLM.
changing back to hand mode when the stylus is 1) pressed on the glass for @ 1/2 second, 2) not moving, and 3) no text is selected
Good idea I think. Will try to add it in the future builds.
I also suggest that the speed required to switch back to hand mode is maybe a bit slower.
You are right probably. But we need to investigate it accurately. Also would be better to make this parameter customizable by user.
I would also like to see the page scroll a little faster with the stylus, and perhaps all these settings could be configurable.
If I understand you correctly, do you want to scroll pages on the distance that exceeds the exact distance you move the pointer?
If yes - that will be unusual behavior for many users I guess. So, it may be added as an additional option, but I'm unsure at the moment.
Also, it would be great if double clicking a word would always start selection mode and also would select the word.
It works already in 335 build for the mouse or for the finger but problem is that with the stylus is too hard to tap twice exactly on the same point on the screen. We will try to fix this issue for sure.
Having "selection handles" to help resize the selected text would be great too.
Yes, we planning to add it in the upcoming builds.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

nayubc
User

Post by nayubc »

Thank you for adding this smart feature.

I would suggest if you can make the hand touch as(hand) and Mouse (select text) at least to add as an option.
avada
User

Post by avada »

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 pm In the new upcoming build we added new option for the Hand tool that sounds 'Select Text/Images'. By default this option will be turned off. You will be able to enable it on Format tab in Ribbon or on Properties toolbar in Classic (also available in Properties pane). For sure - this property is especially for the Hand tool, so please be sure that this tool is active before. When this option is turned on:
Why on earth hide it on a pane that I had to search for? I had to spend like 10 minutes to dig up where to find the option to change. I got to it via the gear on the bookmarks sidebar, since the opened pdf happened to have bookmarks, otherwise the button is inactive.
Even worse that the "properties" name doesn't imply to any degree that it has options relevant to the hand or whichever tool.
It would make more sense as a "tools properties" button within the tools toolbar on ribbon UI (or the equally poorly/nondescriptively named "standard" toolbar in the classic UI ) that brings up a menu with these options.

It should at least appear in the settings window. But ideally it should be where the hand tool button is.

It could be a three state button where clicking it multiple times would cycle between select text being on/off. The hotkey could do the same.

PS:
On a related note, I can't quite figure out what the "exclusive mode" option does.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, avada

As was mentioned, the function is available on the Format tab (to the right of the review/bookmarks tabs when the hand tool is selected:
PDFXEdit_42nfWPrFOc.png
This is not hidden, but instead is located where the customization options for any tool would normally be.

For exclusive mode, when enabled this prevents the selected tool from interacting with any content other than the page itself. For the hand tool this means you will not be able to select comments or form fields with a tap, but scrolling should be easier as it cannot be interrupted by those same items.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lester1027
User

Post by lester1027 »

I think the current 'select text/image' functionality of the hand tool can be more intuitive. For now, after hovering above the desired text, it takes some time for the stylus to stay still and for the tool to turn from hand to select. When we operate a smartphone or an ipad, the toggling between scrolling and text selection is very smooth because a long press and a subsequent dragging on the text changes the mode immediately. If xchange editor can implement this operation method, I think the user experience may be more fluent.

Thank you.
lester1027
User

Post by lester1027 »

Hello, any reply please?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, lester1027

My apologies for the delay, the Dev team have looked at this and are considering it for the future, but cannot currently promise there will be changes in this respect at this time. There are a number of functions which would be impacted by this change, and need to be accounted for if we offer this either as an option, or as a static change.

Perhaps you will see this in the future, but I can make no guarantees here and now.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lester1027
User

Post by lester1027 »

Hello, Sir/Madam. I would like to know if there is any existing plan about the stylus/hand usage in the full-screen mode.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, lester1027

What in particular are you looking for with regards to these actions in fullscreen? We do support touch input in fullscreen as it is, is there something specific you are wanting?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lester1027
User

Post by lester1027 »

Some people mentioned about using the tools like pencil under the full screen mode and I agree with them very much. However, previously the dev team believed PDF Xchange Editor is an editor not a reader so this was not approved. I would like to know if there is any change now. Thank you.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, lester1027

For the time being, I am afraid that the sentiment still stands, and Fullscreen mode is chiefly intended as a viewing mode.

With that said, what you are looking for, specifically with regards to using the pencil and eraser tool, is possible. If you open "preferences > Fullscreen" and disable "presentation mode" it is prevent a single tap from proceeding to the next page, allow the pencil and eraser to be autoselected by the stylus. This does have the caveat that it instead requires you to hover your finger in the bottom left area of the screen to access the "next/previous page" controls.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com