PDF-XChange - Tracker PDF Viewer - TIFF-XChange - Image-XChange - XMF-XChange - Raster-XChange - Support

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."

User4455
User
Topic Author

Issues with pen input; microsoft surface book and surface pen

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:27 am

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a big fan of PDF-XChange Editor due to it's capabilities in handling many pdfs at the same time. Also, I appreciate that it generally supports my surface pen on my surface book V1. However, the behaviour of the software (I keep it up to date; current build is 7.0.327.1; I own a licences of the "PDF-Tools"-package) is not yet ideal, when I handle my documents "like paper", meaning I handwrite with my pen and move and zoom with my fingers. In particular, I see the following issues:

1) Generally, the software automatically recognizes the pen tip and starts inking when the tip touches the screen. The software generally switches back to the hand-tool, when I lift the pen. However, there are two cases, in which the software does not switch back. This frequently leads to accidentyll drawing an unwanted ink line with my finger. Firstly, the software does not switch back to the hand-tool when I have changed the ink-color (or type). Secondly, when I use the eraser of my pen the software does also not switch back to the hand-tool afterwards, but switches to the ink-tool. Both cases lead to colorful but annoying lines on the page (the undo-button is my friend).

This behaviour seems to me to be a bug. If not, I would appreciate an option in the preferences that basically says: Be consequent, fingers move and zoom only, pen tip writes only, eraser erases only.

2) Annotations are objects that can be selected with both my finger and the pen tip. This can be frustrating, because when trying to move (or zoom) the page, I often accidentally hit an annotation-object and then move the object instead of the page. This can become particularly annoying when I show other people my documents on my device and they start to move or zoom the page (as they are used to from their mobile phones). Because they dont know this issue, things get messy.

This behaviour seems to be a design philosophy that I suggest to overthink. Maybe an option generally protecting all annotations might help.

3) My third issue has the same origin as the second one, i.e. the annotations are objects which are selected by any input device. The problem here is, that it is practically impossible to draw a new ink-line onto any annotation that is already there. One particular use-case is that I first draw a thick line over a text of the pdf (for highlighting) and then want to underline (ink! not the underline-tool) one or two words within the higlighted passage ("double-higlighting" if you will). I have found a somewhat goofy workaround in moving the first highlighting away, drawing my underlines and moving the highligting back. However, this is annoying and also makes the behaviour less "natural". For futher illustration, a second use case is that i have handwritten on the page and later I want to add some handwritten text in close proximity, underline some of the handwritten text or something like that, i.e. modify the old handwritten object. In this case, the pen tip also selects the old object instead of drawing new lines.

I understand, that the software is not exactly a creative drawing software. However, a more natural behaviour "like paper" will facilitate paperless work in fields which still today heavily rely on paper, lawyers notably.

In summary, even though the software generally supports my hardware (which is great!) the behaviour of the software is not yet "natural". Therefore it requires quite some training and is still annoying at times.

Please let me know, if I have overlooked some existing options or if you are planning to adress these issues in the future.

I will be happy to provide further info, if necessary. Also, since PDF-XChange Editor is my MAIN work tool (I am a lawyer, so my job is basically to read and understand text documents), I will also gladly provide further feedback, if you can use it to improve the software.

Best regards.

Further keywords: stylus, tablet

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Issues with pen input; microsoft surface book and surface pen

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello User4455,

I have been unable to reproduce the first issue on my end, however for your second and third points, we have an "Exclusive mode" toggle that should help considerably. This is found on the Format toolbar of most annotations, for example, the typewriter:
DMKB18November651.png

simply click the Exclusive mode toggle and it should remain on until manually toggled off again (holding ctrl will also temporarily override it). This should allow all annotation to be placed on to of each other regardless of existing placement, as well as allow many tools, such as the hand to operate mostly independently (there will still be some cases where the hand tool interacts directly with content items).

Back to the first issue, do you have any windows or stylus settings in place that could affect this, for example, the "Ignore palm" option may have an effect, please try turning it off and on to see if the situation changes at all. Restarting the Editor each time you change these settings as well.
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623

User4455
User
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 am

Dear Daniel,
you just made my work-life so much easier! Thank you.
I will get back to you on the first issue.

User4455
User
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:40 am

Dear Daniel,
I have looked into my "Pen & Windows Ink"-settings. The ones relating to handwriting-recognition and to the pen-buttons don`t seem relevant.
The general options are: "show visual effects", "show cursor" and "Ignore touch input during use of pen" (my WIndows is german, so my translations might differ from the english version).
All three general options have been "on". I have tried toggling them "off" and restarted the Editor. It did not solve the first issue.

Any further thoughts?

Thank you.

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello User4455,
I am just awaiting developer input on this matter, apologies in advance for any delays.
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623