Programmatically change text color for find/search results  SOLVED

PDF-XChange Editor SDK for Developers

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

When experiencing some errors, use the IAUX_Inst::FormatHRESULT method to see their description and include it in your post along with the error code.
zarkogajic
User

Programmatically change text color for find/search results

Post by zarkogajic »

Hi Support,

This topic is related to the question raised in the EU Forum: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=36805

Is there any way, never mind how complex, to do the following *from code*:

1. Activate Edit Content mode
2. Find / "select" a word (/some text) inside a content item text block
3. Change the Fill Color to selected color
image.png

-žarko
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Programmatically change text color for find/search results

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Zarko.

Unfortunately it might be too complex... Hypothetical way:

Code: Select all

text = page.GetText();

for (int i = (text.BlocksCount - 1); i >= 0; i--)
{
   doc.StartEditPageText(i);
   te = doc.ActiveTextEditor;
   if (te == null)
      break;

e = te.EditCtl;

e.GetRichText(UIX_RichText_RTF, stream, UIX_GetRichText_All);

ReplaceTextColorsInRTF(stream) ;

e.SetRichText(stream); 

e = null;
   te = nullptr;

doc.ApplyCachedChanges(); // stop text editor and apply changes to this text block
}
Note: its better to enumerate text blocks in reversed order because after each change you might have a new set of text blocks...

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
zarkogajic
User

Post by zarkogajic »

HI Vasyl,

Thank for a push in the needed direction :)

p.s.
I actually need something like that on the Core level (change font color "on" a rectangle on page). I know (/guess) something like this is not implemented in Core stuff?

-žarko
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi Zarko.

Unfortunately, but text in pdf - it is not normal text. In common case - it is just bunch of special text-items that might be positioned and ordered absolutely chaotically in pdf content BUT you may still see all of them as normal and readable text. For example, often pdf-creators firstly add the main text to the page and then add text of header and footer. As result, in pdf-content we may see: text-items for main text firstly and after it - text-items of header and footer. So, in summary, order of text items on the page will be incorrect, because header's text items are AFTER main text-items while visibly are above that text. This is very simple example, not the worst case. In editor we trying to compose the 'normal' text from the potential mess of the text-items (IPXC_Page::GetText). And this composed text is read-only on the core-level. You may change it only via UI-TextEditor feature in Editor-level of API.
From other side - you may try to work with content-items directly (page.GetContent()). But in this case you will be stuck with your task because each text-item - it isn't a single word exactly but might be any piece of text: whole line of text, one word, half of word, one symbol etc. And in the case when you need to change color just for one word but corresponding text-item also contains other words - you need special functionality to split the text-item to certain pieces (new smaller text-items). But currently we haven't published this API for devs..

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
zarkogajic
User

Post by zarkogajic »

Hi Vasly,

Thanks - all you said is clear :)

What I'm really trying to do is to change the color of text "behind" the Link type annotation.

I know there's no Text associated with the Link type annotation - but with some coding it can be extracted from the page. Same as what you do in the Links pane.

People love to have unified link appearance. It is easy to make all links have the same border color/style etc. What's not easy (actually not possible for the moment) is to change the color (or font) of the text (if there is one) behind the link.

It would be awesome if you could build this into SDK (/EU Editor) :)

I know I'm kind of asking too much - but I am certain EU Editor users would benefit from such a feature (at least those working with links).

p.s.
I have already asked for this here https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33540 and I know it is either not possible from code or far too complex at the moment.

-žarko
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Programmatically change text color for find/search results  SOLVED

It would be awesome if you could build this into SDK (/EU Editor)
Agree with you, it might be useful in many scenarios to have possibility to split existing text-items. We will add it in the near future...
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer