Export comments of visible layers

PDF-XChange Editor SDK for Developers

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

When experiencing some errors, use the IAUX_Inst::FormatHRESULT method to see their description and include it in your post along with the error code.
lidds
User

Export comments of visible layers

Post by lidds »

Is it possible to export comments of only visible layers?

I have downloaded the PDF XChange Editor v9 application and even if I hide a layer and then export the comment to a .fdf file it seems to export all annotations even if the layer is hidden.

Thanks

Simon
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Export comments of visible layers

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello lidds,

Right now this functionality will only export all of the annotations, even the hidden ones.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
lidds
User

Post by lidds »

Alex,

Thank you for answering all my questions regarding the layer feature.

Was initially really excited about this feature as it would have saved me having my current coded method of loading department annotation exported files and deleting those specific annotations if the user wishes to turn off a certain departments annots. Then if they want to display them again I have to load the export annotations file again, which takes time.

This layer feature would have really speeded up the experience for the end user, but as it's not accessible via the API, I guess that's that. :(

Is there a hidden flag on annots that is accessible via the API?

Thanks

Simon
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello lidds,

There is no hidden flag in this case - the annotation has the OCG property by the PDF specification. It's visibility is being controlled by the OCG state.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
lidds
User

Post by lidds »

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the information.

I have been looking around on the internet for hours and find very little on explaining OCG within PDF's.

As you have stated that the new layer features are not accessible through the API at the moment, I was wonder if you would be able to explain the step that you guys have taken to implement this function? This may then allow me to replicate this using core PDFXchange current API or javascript features.

As explained I basically need to be able to stop having to load and unload export annot files, as explained previously and it sounds like the OCG feature will allow me to hide and show annots associated with the layers? If this is the case, then I would really appreciate any guidance and / or source code that could help.

Thanks

Simon
lidds
User

Post by lidds »

Is this able to be done in version 354 using the API?

Thanks

Simon
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello lidds,

To read more about the Optional Content Groups, please read the latest PDF Specification. Also, that functionality has not been added to the API yet.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
rfijen
User

Post by rfijen »

So making an export from layers isn't possible. Would it be possible to filter comments from layers? Right now it's only possible to filter with type, page etc. It would be very handy if it could be done by layer.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, rfijen

At the moment, the only viable way to handle this would be to "export only visible annotations". Beyond that, there really is no way to distinguish between the various layers that can exist in a document that helps to associate the page content/comments to each of them.
Our Dev team is looking at that possibility, but I cannot promise implementation at this time.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
CFH
User

Post by CFH »

Hello,

I have tried to find something new about the ability to export comments of visible layers but this is the latest information I could find. Is it something that is still being worked on or not because it is a feature that would be a great help so it would be nice to know

Thank you very much for your help!
Sean - Tracker
Site Admin

Post by Sean - Tracker »

Hi CFH,

I'm afraid there has been no further developments in relation to this.

Kind regards,
Sean Godley
Technical Writer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623