Placing more than one digital signature on a document

PDF-XChange Editor SDK for Developers

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

When experiencing some errors, use the IAUX_Inst::FormatHRESULT method to see their description and include it in your post along with the error code.
lidds
User

Placing more than one digital signature on a document

Post by lidds »

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me solve a problem. If I place one digital signature on a document and then open it in Adobe Acrobat the signature is valid. However if I then place a second signature on the document and again open it in Adobe Acrobat it now says that the document signatures are invalid / not trusted. I have attached an image below to illistrate my issue. My question is how can I apply multiple digital signatures on a document and ensure that all the signatures are valid when opening in Adobe Acrobat??
twoSignatures.png
Thanks

Simon
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Placing more than one digital signature on a document

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Simon,

if you are using deferred signing then the procedure should be like this:
-Sign the document
-Save the document
-Sign the document again
-Save the document again
If you are doing this:
-Sign the document
-Sign the document
-Save the document
Then this will cause problems as it's not a valid procedure to sign multiple times without previous saving after the last sign.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
lidds
User

Post by lidds »

Alex,

Could you please expand a bit more on the process and also clarify which command I should be using "cmd.tool.digisig" or "cmd.document.signatures.sign"

Below is what I want to achieve, maybe you could tell me how to achieve this:
1. The document is opened.
2. A signature is placed by a user and the document is saved.
3. The document is closed.
4. Another user opens the document that was saved at point 2. Therefore this user now sees the document with one signature on.
5. This new user places their signature and saves the document.
6. The document is closed.
7. Another user opend the document that was saved at point 5. Therefore this user now see the document with two signatures on.
8. etc. etc.

Thanks

Alex
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Simon,

Are you placing a signature via code, or are you just calling the appropriate command so that the user can place it afterwards?

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
lidds
User

Post by lidds »

Alex,

I am allowing the user to place it afterward using your supplied command and forms. Please not that I am talking specifically about digital certificate signatures.

Thanks for you help

Simon
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Simon,

Well if you are using that then make sure that the document is being saved (manually or programatically) after each signature place - then you will be able to place several signatures on one document.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
lidds
User

Post by lidds »

Alex,

I have attached a video that illistrates my issue, you can see from the video that I am saving the document after each signature. But when I place more than one signature it invalidates the previous signature when open in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If I am doing something wrong in the process please let me know, as this is something that my client wants and I assume it must be possible. If it means doing this by code so it works, then I am happy to do that.

Thanks

Simon
Attachments
Video.zip
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Simon,

Well now it's clear why is this happening - Demo Labels add the modifications that are not permitted by your signing - addition of the link annotations and content change.
When you are saving the document for the first time, the Demo Labels are being added and afterwards, the signing is being held. Here, everything is fine.
But when you add the signature for the second time, when you are saving the document, the Demo Labels are being added and that alters the first signature and causes it to become invalid because the content is being change (and this is not permitted).
We are showing that the first signature is valid because we don't look what exactly was changed in the Incremental Update and Adobe does (that's the difference).
When you will enter the valid developer key, everything would work fine.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
lidds
User

Post by lidds »

God, I am stupid. I have just tested and all works fine.

Really sorry for the waste of your time Alex.

Thanks

Simon
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

:)
Subscribe at: