How to customize Settings.dat?

PDF-XChange Editor SDK for Developers

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

When experiencing some errors, use the IAUX_Inst::FormatHRESULT method to see their description and include it in your post along with the error code.
vivekpatel
User

How to customize Settings.dat?

Post by vivekpatel »

Hello,

How to customize or make too many setting.dat file according to Editros and viewer?
Here i'm doing with Editor and viewer, i want to make Setting.dat file for both. How it is possible?

Thanks.
I'm looking forward to it.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How to customize Settings.dat?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Vivek Patel,

The way in both products is via the main menu -> Edit -> Export Settings... or if using the ribbon interface in the Editor via Main Menu -> File -> Export settings.

I presume you want to create those with the end user products - as you've posted in the end user Editor forum, and I know you are usually using our SDK products!

Regards,
Stefan
vivekpatel
User

Post by vivekpatel »

Hello,
Thanks for reply.

I have two form named Editor and Viewer in my application.
I don't want to export. only need to create ".dat" file for that both.

Like,
Dim prefsPath As String = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData) & "\Viewer_settings.dat" ---->> this one is for Viewer.
i did for both, but it doesn't work for both. It create only "settings.dat" file

Thanks.
I'm looking forward to it.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello vivekpatel,

So if you are trying to do this via code - I should move this topic!

And can you please explain to us why do you want to modify those settings.dat files?
That should not be necessary. If you need specific commands customized - you should be able to change them directly in code, and if you need many settings to be changed at the same time - creating custom settings files and loading those should be much more convenient.

Regards,
Stefan
vivekpatel
User

Post by vivekpatel »

Hello,

We have used your activex control in 3-4 places in our project. In one it is used as viewer so we have hidden editing tool bars, in other it is used as editor so we show editing tool bars. In 3rd place it is only a reorder tool, showing only thumbnail view. We have customized tool bars using the following code:
pdfctrl.Inst.MainFrm(counter).View.CmdBar("cmdbar.standard").Show()
we have used the above code for each cmd bar that we want to show/hide.'counter' is a variable where we keep the number of active controls.

But sometimes, it seems randomly, some tool bars disappear/appear in viewer. They come back after we remove settings.dat and restart the program. So we want to have separate settings.dat for each place where we have used activex control. We assume that each control will use settings from its own .dat file which we will specify in 'Init' function.
I hope my query is now clear to you. If this is not possible, can you suggest an alternate way to achieve the above.

Pls move this to appropriate forum. I am a developer working on your activex control.

Rgds
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello vivekpatel,

I've moved the topic to the Editor SDK section, and probably the easiest way would be to load settings from separate files as needed.

Regards,
Stefan
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello vivekpatel,
But sometimes, it seems randomly, some tool bars disappear/appear in viewer. They come back after we remove settings.dat and restart the program. So we want to have separate settings.dat for each place where we have used activex control. We assume that each control will use settings from its own .dat file which we will specify in 'Init' function.
Well that's a problem - it seems that somewhere the Show() method is being called globally and that affects your Viewer. Lets give this a different approach: you can use the IPXV_PreviewControl to make a preview (not the entire IPXV_Control). Here's a sample on how to achieve this :
https://github.com/tracker-software/PDF ... reviewCtrl

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
chavas
User

Post by chavas »

Hi,

In continuation to Vivek's query.....since he is on leave for some time...I am working on this issue...
I saw the sample project that you gave. The project does not use the default tool bar. With out the tool bar we will have to write code for each feature which would be a very tedious task. Am I missing something??
We would prefer to have separate settings.dat file for each instance of PDF editor and show/hide cmd bars/buttons as needed. Also we are using custom buttons in viewer which are not needed in editor and V.V.

Rgds
Charu
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Charu,

The thing is that the Settings are used for the entire application, not for single controls. Meaning that if you use the Import settings operation, then all of the controls will update accordingly.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
wpuk
User

Post by wpuk »

Hi,

I'm using PDF editor V7 and I'm not sure whats happened, but all the tools appear to be missing from the screen along with the file and other key tabs.

Please see attached photo for reference. Any idea how I could get these tabs back? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software but that hasn't made any change.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Attachments
PDF editor missing tabs.PNG
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello wpuk,

Please post this in the End-User Editor forum, to the SDK forum:
viewforum.php?f=62

Cheers,
Alex