Opening multiple documents in tab interface

PDF-XChange Editor SDK for Developers

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

When experiencing some errors, use the IAUX_Inst::FormatHRESULT method to see their description and include it in your post along with the error code.
MartinCS
User

Opening multiple documents in tab interface

Post by MartinCS »

Hello Tracker-Team,

I'm using version 5.5.313.1 of the PDF-XChange Editor Core API.

In the windows forms application I'm developing I need to have the ability to open multiple pdf documents at the same time during runtime. Inside of my main form I'm using the "AxPDFXEdit.AxPXV_Control pdfCtl". If I call the "OpenDocFromPath" method several times on user requests, I would expect that each request would open a document in a new tab, in the same way as the open file dialog of the PDF-XChange Editor. However, what I'm finding is that only the last requested document is being opened in the Editor, despite multiple documents having been requested.

How can I go about opening several documents concurrently using the OpenDocFromPath method, so that they are available in the same tab interface when I open documents using the Editor's File>Open menu?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Martin
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Opening multiple documents in tab interface

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Martin,

I had a quick chat with a colleague from the European dev team - but it seems like we will need to discuss that with one of the project leaders in the Canadian office as well. I will check with him and we will post back here as soon as we have any further info.

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Martin.

Use once time the:

Code: Select all

pdfCtl.Inst.Settings["Docs.SingleWnd"].v = false; // true by default
// pdfCtl.Inst.Settings["Docs.HideSingleTab"].v = false; // false by default
HTH
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
MartinCS
User

Post by MartinCS »

Hi Vasyl,

thank you for your quick reply! I was able to implement your code snippet within my application by adding your code before the "InitializeComponent" routine of the constructor of my windows forms application:

public frmMain()
{
    SingeltonUtils.Instance.PxvInst.Settings["Docs.SingleWnd"].v = false;
    SingeltonUtils.Instance.PxvInst.Settings["Docs.HideSingleTab"].v = false;

this.InitializeComponent();

this.WireEvents();
}
This might be useful for other developers facing the same problem.

Now, that I am able to detach a single pdf document into a separate window I'm facing new problems/questions when I try to attach the window back to my main form:
  • The window container for the detached pdf documents doesn't get closed automatically when the document is reattached back to the main form. Is there another property setting I can use to accomplish this? Or is it necessary to implement a separate window handling, e.g. using event listeners? I noticed that in the Pdf Editor, the empty window is automatically closed when its document is reattached.
  • How can I attach to the events inside of the separate window container e.g. closing the file?
    The way that I understand the workings of the Pdf Editor tab control, splitting a document off into a separate window creates a new instance of a Pdf Editor window container. Is this correct? If so, how can I access the methods and events within it from my app's main form instance?
Thank you in advance!

Martin
espens
User

Post by espens »

Did the setting of HideSingleTab actually make any difference?

What I want to achieve is to have the tabs visible at all times. The (+) tab is a quick way to create a new document. I want that to show regardless of how many documents I have open, and even if i do not have any documents open. The tabs only shows when I have 2 or more open documents.

Also; is it possible to turn of the "Drag and drop all tabs" button/feature that shows on the left of the tab bar? In general I want to turn of the drag n drop of the tabs.

Espen
MartinCS
User

Post by MartinCS »

Hi Espen,

No, the setting for HideSingleTab with the value 'false' doesn't make any difference. As its value is 'false' by default.

I'm facing the same issue like you described. I don't get the tab conrol when 'only' one pdf document is opened which than results in the problem that I'm not able to attach a separate pdf document back to the main window holding the original/first pdf control.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Vasyl or Stefan.

Martin
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi, Espens and MartinCS.
Did the setting of HideSingleTab actually make any difference?
Sorry, my previous example was some incorrect, the correct code:

pdfCtl.Inst.Settings["Docs.SingleWnd"].v = false; // true by default
pdfCtl.Inst.Settings["Docs.HideSingleTab"].v = false; // true by default

// notify the Editor about new options in 'Document' prefs:
pdfCtl.Inst.FireAppPrefsChanged(PDFXEdit.PXV_AppPrefsChanges.PXV_AppPrefsChange_Documents);
Call it once after IntializeComponents().

HTH
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
MartinCS
User

Post by MartinCS »

Hi Vasyl,

using your code I'm able to detach opened pdf documents to a separate window, as expected; however, I came accross some other issues.

In order to demonstrate the problems I created a short video (see attached zip).

Steps to reproduce:
  • Open two documents with different annotation colors
  • Detach one pdf document
  • The same annotation color is shown both windows
  • Select annotation tool and create annotation in detached window
  • Click on different annotation tool inside of the original window (expected result: tool is activated; actual result: tool is activated in the other window)
  • It is necessary to click the tab of document in original window to be able to select a annotation tool
The specifics of my project are as follows:
  • Windows.Forms Application with .NET Runtime 4
  • Application uses one main form (like the FullDemo) for the pdf ActiveX control
  • Pdf Editor SDK version 5.5.313.1
I've tested the same steps shown above in the standalone version of the Pdf Editor, and there the behaviour is as expected.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. If there is any further information you need from me, please let me know.

Martin
Attachments
Video_2015-09-09_092413.zip
(587.55 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Martin,

Before we all get in to this too far and you spend a huge amount of time on your project - can I ask if you have read the License T&C's and know the limits of specifically the type of application you are allowed to create ?

You may want to email sales@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this forum post and give us a brief over view of the project detail and the user profile (specifically is it for internal use or resale?) as the license specifically prohibits the creation of any stand alone application that might compete with our own end user products (e.g. PDF Viewers/Editors etc) without prior written agreement from us.

In general terms you must use the SDK within another application of your creation such as DMS system etc - where the PDF Viewing/Editing etc is not the major purpose of the applications functionality - but one of many features - rather than our SDK forming the 'backbone' of the entire application.

I would not want to see you waste your time and money - only to breach the terms and conditions of the license and then to end up in conflict with us over your use...

Many thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Excellent Martin - I appreciate your taking the time to reply and I am happy to confirm that based on your explanation (by email) and overview I see no conflict of interest.

many thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
MartinCS
User

Post by MartinCS »

Hello Tracker-Team,

I wanted to check if you have an update for me?

Thank you,
Martin
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

I've brought this topic to Vasyl's attention once again, and he will check it when he comes to work (it's currently 3:55 AM where he is).

Regards,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi Martin.
In order to demonstrate the problems I created a short video (see attached zip).
The issue was reproduced and we will try to fix it in the next build. Thanks for the good description of the problem.
Also I have a remark - using multiple Editor's frames isn't a typical scenario for most applications that can be created by developers using our Editor SDK. But sure, the issue you found is reproduced and must be fixed in any case.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

MartinCS
User

Post by MartinCS »

Hello Vasyl,

I downloaded the latest build (5.5.316.1) and I still have the same behavior/issue as described above and shown in the video.

Can you give me an update on the progress regarding this problem, please? To work with multiple documents in separate (detached) windows is very essential to us in order to supply our customers a high experience when working with Pdf Editor.

Regards,
Martin
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear this is still an issue.
Vasyl is in our Canadian office (GMT -8) so it's a bit early for him right now. I have left him a message asking for an update on this case and will report back here as soon as I have any further info.

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

Vasyl confirmed that indeed this wasn't fixed for 316.1. We are sorry and will try to fix it for the next one.

Regards,
Stefan