Disable word field functions before converting

PDF-XChange Editor SDK for Developers

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

When experiencing some errors, use the IAUX_Inst::FormatHRESULT method to see their description and include it in your post along with the error code.
DeKo
User

Disable word field functions before converting

Post by DeKo »

Hello,

in some cases the word field functions are updated when converting a .doc/x-file to pdf via the responsible IPXV_Converter. Is there a setting to disable updating the word field functions when converting?

Thanks in advance :)

Greetings,
Dennis
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Disable word field functions before converting

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Dennis,

Can you please be more specific (a sample with explanations would be perfect) - because I can't tell you anything from this only.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
DeKo
User

Post by DeKo »

Hello Alex,

i'm afraid i can't give you an example yet. I was given the task to look up if we can set it up. To be honest with you i tought it would be self explanatory..

I am sorry for the inconvenience! I have to come back to you next week.

Greetings and have a nice week,
Dennis
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Dennis,

I did not understand the "word field functions" part.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In case it goes about converting Microsoft Word documents to PDF - almost the same as printing - you can select whether the variable "fields" in the Word document should be updated before printing, or not. Sorry if it goes about something totally different ...
Attachments
Word 2010 - Print options.jpg
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Willy,

Thanks for the explanation - hope that Dennis can confirm this one.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
DeKo
User

Post by DeKo »

Hello Alex,
Hello Willy,

yeah thats what i meant. And i am looking for a way to disable that when converting pdfs programmatically with the IPXV_ImportConverter. I just came to work, i will try to get a sample file if needed.

Greetings,
Dennis
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Dennis,

Did you manage to get this setting right?
I believe there's no way to control this from inside the Editor SDK - but can check with our devs if needed.
I suspect you will need to make this change to Word/Office before making the conversion calls.

Regards,
Stefan
DeKo
User

Post by DeKo »

Hello Stefan,

thanks for replying and sorry for writing back so late! (I had 2 weeks off and pretty busy)

Unfortunatly, we didn't get this setting right yet. We noticed, if we manually disable this option in word and then convert the result is as expected => the word functions aren't updated. But we would need that programatically... actually, i still didn't have time to dig into that topic.

Greetings,
Dennis
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Dennis,

Indeed, for whether MS Word will update fields on converting to PDF/XPS is responsible the same checkbox Willy Van Nuffel provided on the printscreen - "Update fileds before printing".
So, unchecking this flag manually in MS Word and then closing Word to save new settings will cause documents to be converted without updating fields. Thus, IPXV_Converter will launch Word application with new settings and will convert Documents according to them.

As far as there are no such option for now in IPXV_Converter to change a lot of Microsoft Word settings, you may consider one of the following, depending on your needs:
1) If you're doing job for some local office and the quantity of your users is not too large, consider manually uncheck appropriate checkbox on users' PCs
2) Also, you may somehow uncheck this option programmatically in MS Word. Since changing Word settings programmatically belongs to Microsoft Word's part, you'd better check the ways you can do it in appropriate Microsoft's documentation/forums or elsewhere on the internet.
One of the ways to change Word's settings I'm aware of is to use Office Automation via COM.
Thus, before calling IPXV_Converter::Convert function, you should silently create Word.Application COM Object , change appropriate setting
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office ... ldsatprint
-that is the one, if I', not mistaken, and then shutdown Word.application. After that "Convert" function should launch its own Word with new changed settings. That is only one of the ways, not very sophisticated, so you'd better check the appropriate Microsoft's sources in this regard.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at: