empty PDF Files during download from PDF-X Internet Explorer Plugin

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

TGE
User

empty PDF Files during download from PDF-X Internet Explorer Plugin

Post by TGE »

Hi
At the Moment i am deploying PDF-XChange PRO (7.0.325.0) on Windows 7/IE11.
On some Clients there will be saved an empty PDF File if i save it during download from the Internet Explorer Plugin. Filename is correct but there is noting in. 0kb file size.
I can see the file in the temp Internet Folder(with more kB!) and its shown on the Screen. If i open the PDF Editor and use the URL download its working well.
Thanks for your Help
Tobias
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: empty PDF Files during download from PDF-X Internet Explorer Plugin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Tobias,

Is protected mode turned on on such affected machines?
I believe part of the emulation of file systems IE does as part of the Protected mode might be interfering with this!

Regards,
Stefan
TGE
User

Post by TGE »

Hello Stefan

I've two Users on this Maschine both have Protected mode enabled. One user it's working well and the other can't download pdf files. Only if i disable the protected mode it's working. All other Settings from the IE looks indentical. But ... i don't want to disable the protected mode.

Are there some other Setting known which affect the download ?

I'am getting more and more user having this Problem.

Thanks,
Tobias
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi Tobias,

Currently that is the only function I know of to cause this issue.
We currently cannot support the plugin while IE is in protected mode as the two are simply not compatible.
In the future we may look into options for this, but currently IE does not allow plugins to manage the protected mode function, so our hands are tied.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TGE
User

Post by TGE »

Hi Daniel

Sorry to tell but thats xtremly frustrating.

Because i can't disable the Protected mode for security reasons i tried to roll out the PDF-XChange inculding the msi Option VIEW_IN_BROWERS with value "0" hoping that another Reader program will be used to open pdf files ... but it's also starting PDF-XChange while using links to pdf files in IE. The only way seems to set on every Useraccount the file opening Options in the Editor. But i've some more users ....

Regards,
Tobias
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello TGE,
Knowing now that you have that switch would mean that your browser is in full control ho how those are handled before our software opens it.
Have you tried using Save as instead of Open within the browser?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TGE
User

Post by TGE »

In the meantime I've deployed Version 7.0.325.1 and now it's not longer possible to use the File Options. The only way is to rename the iePDFXEditPlugin.x86.dll. ....

To get rid of this Problem i now deployed the PDF-X Software without installing the IE and Firefox Plugins.

I hope in newer Version there are less Problems with plugins.

Regards,
Tobias
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello TGE,
As I had mentioned before, our hands are tied on the IE front, as they do not allow us to alter or circumvent protected mode's handling of files, it is not something we can improve currently.
On the topic of the firefox plugin, Newer versions of firefox have removed the ability to use plugins such as our entirely, so while we are attempting to keep the plugin functional for old version, we cannot actively support the new version of firefox with our plugin.

Mozilla and Microsoft have both made these changes to handle security issues within their programs, according to their public statements. As such our ability to improve this functionality is entirely dependent on their (hopefully) upcoming solutions. If firefox decides to allow plugins once more, we will certainly jump back to fully supporting the newest version; if IE allows plugins like ours to manage protected mode, or allow other ways to circumvent this; you can rest assured that we will try our utmost to have that working as soon as possible.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TGE
User

Post by TGE »

Hello Daniel

In Version 7.0.325.1 it's no longer possible to Change the File Opening Option (Show PDF Files in Internet Explorer). He is always opening the files with PDF-X. That was my way out of the Problem with saving the files.

Now i install PDF-X without the pluins. Then another PDF Reader has to do the work.

Regards,
Tobias
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello TGE,

You can disable the PDF-XChange Add-Ons in IE at any time under the menu Tools -> Manage Add-Ons:
addons1.png
addons2.png

Regards.