IE Plugin

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

stevemj
User

IE Plugin

Post by stevemj »

I want PDFs downloaded in IE 11 to use an external program. However, they open in IE using the PDF-XChange plugin. But there is no sign of the plugin in IE's Manage Add-ons and PDF-XChange's File Associations in Preferences won't allow me to alter "Do Not Change". Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help.
I am using version 7.0 build 324.2
How can I ensure that PDFs open external to IE?

Edit: I have now found the plugin in Run without permissions and disabled it, but that makes no difference.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: IE Plugin

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Something to read:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29605

The solution should be to delete a number of Windows Registry keys, mentioned at the very end of the above thread.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29605&p=116767#p120092

Can you please post a reply if this solution works for you?
stevemj
User

Post by stevemj »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, deleting those three keys makes no difference at all, and PDFs still open in IE using the PDF-XChange plugin.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Steve,

Manually renaming the
iePDFXEditPlugin.x64.dll
and
iePDFXEditPlugin.x86.dll
files found in C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor should make it impossible for IE to load our plug-in and it will then offer you other options for handlign PDF files.

Regards,
Stefan
stevemj
User

Post by stevemj »

Great! Thanks, that works after closing and reopening IE.

I notice from previous threads that this been a problem since at least last summer, and the suggestions about deleting the registry keys no longer work. Could this problem be sorted out?

1. File Associations in PDF-XChange Edtor Preferences has no effect and the settings always revert to Do Not Change. Opening the Editor as Administrator doesn't help. If this could be made to work correctly then this would be ideal.
(Now that I have deleted the dll files, the View PDF files in Internet Explorer drop-down box is greyed out.)

2. When I uninstalled the Editor before reinstalling it, I tried opening a PDF in IE and the result was a blank page in IE. This is even worse and means uninstalling is not reverting the system back to its previous state which is worrying.

In summary, it would be best if the Editor doesn't make any changes to the way PDFs open in IE, but give the user the option to make changes by getting File Associations to work correctly.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Steve,

The File associations options do revert back to "Do not change" - so that if you apply any further changes to the preferences in this window, the one that got back to "do not change" is not altered again. But the previous hit on the "Apply" button should have activated the desired setting already.

The problem with IE is that it stores some of it's settings privately in such a manner that we can not fully clear them. We remove the ones we make ourselves - but are not touching third party products.

Regards,
Stefan
stevemj
User

Post by stevemj »

OK I understand your point about Do not change, but the Apply button has no effect. I also appreciate the problem with changing IE but
We remove the ones we make ourselves
doesn't happen hence the need for the renaming you suggested. The Editor makes changes so IE uses the plugin and the Editor ought to be able to reverse that.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Steve,

Yes - I do see your point, and will have that checked with my colleagues!

Regards,
Stefan