Internet Explorer 11 Plugin issues

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

eb2412
User

Internet Explorer 11 Plugin issues

Post by eb2412 »

My company uses PDF Xchange editor Pro but is also forced to use Adobe Reader as it is required by some government website we use. We have a constant battle with what application is the default. We want PDF Xchange to be the default but when Adobe Reader updates it takes owner ship.

Our business procedures requires the PDF to open in the browser. Many times we are not able to set PDF Xchange back as the default via the settings with file associations in the application. It simply does not work. When this happens the PDF opens instead in Adobe Reader in a separate window and we cannot get any viewer to open the PDF in the browser. I think this is due to something the user has clicked on when presented options after an update. The only way I can fix this is to delete the users local profile and rebuild it. It takes a lot of time from production work.

I need a better solution. I am sure some place in the registry there is a key I could modify if I just knew were it was. I currently have an entire department with this issue about 30 users and am desperate for a better resolution.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Internet Explorer 11 Plugin issues

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi eb2412

as you say, Adobe is doing something to wrestle the association away from us. On the surface it is not immediately obvious exactly what keys they are pushing/modifying.

Let me speak to the development team and see what their thoughts are on the best approach.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Do you remember this topic?
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=26888

In this topic, at the item posted on Oct 03, 2016 11:02pm, Ivan (Tracker Software) gave information about a Windows Registry key to delete.

Maybe this can help?

Best regards.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Thanks, Willy Van Nuffel.

eb2412, can you please try and let us know if that works for you too?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
eb2412
User

Post by eb2412 »

I tested on a single user and it did work. :) I have asked my team to to try this as well and if we find it successful I will package it for deployment. Thank you.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks eb2412,

do let us know here how that goes for them? It should be the current build of the Editor also.

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com
Randar
User

Post by Randar »

I continue to have this issue and was hoping there were other solutions posted.

I have Win7 64bit running PDF XChange Pro. 6 latest build. Adobe Reader has been uninstalled, IE11 Protected Mode has been disabled (and rebooted). Extensions are installed (Uninstalled, re-installed) and enabled. I have toggled switches in Preferences, File associations off and on. PDF documents still will not open in IE11, instead invoking the Editor to display.
Also, have checked the ../application/pdf keys referenced in the post and they match.

Is there help to be had with this?? Thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Please try the following:
- make sure that Internet Explorer 11 is closed
- start PDF-XChange Editor (v6.0 b319.0)
- click Edit > Preferences > File Associations
>> at Preview Handler for PDF files, select Yes, click Apply... and click Yes to confirm
>> at View PDF files in Internet Explorer, select Yes, click Apply... and click Yes to confirm
- click OK to close the Preferences dialog box
- close PDF-XChange Editor

- now start Internet Explorer 11 and check if it opens PDFs (via hyperlinks) 'in' the browser, or still not ...

Best regards.

EXTRA INFO:

After testing the above, I could not anymore change Internet Explorer 11 to handle differently.
I could not set anymore PDF-XChange Viewer, nor Adobe Reader as the application to open PDFs in IE11.

Solution: delete the key that was mentioned before:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\MIMEAssociations\application/pdf

It had the following content:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\MIMEAssociations\application/pdf\UserChoice]
"Progid"="BrowserIEPlugin.CoPXCEditorIEPlugin"
Last edited by Willy Van Nuffel on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randar
User

Post by Randar »

Thanks for that reply..

I will do this routine again with Build319 installed and let you know.
A couple of points to note, a newly imaged workstation with Win10E does not have this issue so I may just wind up with that, and, the Version History on the Downloads page does not include any info on builds after 317.1 (??)

Thanks again.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I should not dare to say that the behavior will be different between build 317 and build 319.

Also please read the extra info I added in my previous post.

So, you might have to delete that key, before starting anything else.

- - - -
Version history of PDF-XChange Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... or/history
- - - -

Finally, still another Windows Registry key to check, if the formal should not help:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf

Info got from thread:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2314d15766
Randar
User

Post by Randar »

I am happy to say, Uninstall of b318 and install of Build319 did the trick, performing the steps as you listed.

I had followed all the previous posts, and done this same routine you posted. It had not occurred to me to delete those keys completely and I will keep that in mind should I see this again, just for curiosity. I will be leaving a trail of Build319 upgrades in any event(s).

Thanks again.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I am glad to read that your problem has been solved.

Best regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Our apologies for not responding to this topic sooner today. We are glad to see that it has been resolved.

And a special thank you to @Willy for your clever assistance.

Cheers! :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest