My browser allows viewing PDF documents out of the box. Why do I need a third-party add-on for this?

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Jensen Head
User

My browser allows viewing PDF documents out of the box. Why do I need a third-party add-on for this?

Post by Jensen Head »

Subj. On the Tracker Software Products website, I read:
Avail of Browser Plugins
Use browser plugins to avoid compatibility issues when working in multiple environments. Please note that this is a licensed feature.
This phrase does not clarify the situation. What kind of compatibility are you writing about? Yes, PDF with "live text" is rendered differently in every browser. And if I'm testing a PDF for display in browsers, I should use the native viewers of different browsers, and not the statistically very rare combination of "browser of a particular version" + "your add-on of a particular version" among users.

What kind of functionality does a browser add-on provide that is missing in most (all?) modern browsers?
_
PDF-document in Mozilla Firefox 95.0b9 (64-bit) browser
PDF-document in Mozilla Firefox 95.0b9 (64-bit) browser
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: My browser allows viewing PDF documents out of the box. Why do I need a third-party add-on for this?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

Those browser viewers are in most cases just this - a Viewer, and they will not allow you to e.g. add annotations in the file, and some of them have issues with e.g. form filling (we had recently a file which when filled in by Edge was not displaying properly in our Editor, but also in Adobe's full Acrobat - so the issue was with the way Edge filled in this form and not with the Editor). As such - when you open the said file in our Editor - you can guarantee a broader set of features, and that your file will be better handled and conforming to all PDF specifications when you make changes to it.

Kind regards,
Stefan