Install additional languages - no result  SOLVED

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jotess
User

Install additional languages - no result

Post by jotess »

Hello
I have tried to install additional OCR languages by downloading the installer OCRBaseLangPack.zip from the link provided in the OCR dialogue. I executed the installer (while XChange Editor was closed) and restarted it, but there are still no languages selectable, only English (greyed).
Can anybody tell me what I have missed?
My version is 7.0 (323.1)
Best regards
Joachim
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Install additional languages - no result

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Joachim,

The build you currently have is a bit older. Please try updating to the current one and then try once again.
Also - just to make sure - you are not using a portable copy of the Editor, are you?

Regards,
Stefan
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Hello Stefan,
thanks for the hint, I somehow thought the program checked for updates automatically.
  • Updated XChagne Editor and checked again - seemingly no result.
  • Quit Xchange Editor and repeated the OCR installation.
  • Checked again - seemingly still no result, "English" is greyed-out. But this time I clicked the dropdown menu in spite of that and - hurray - I could choose the other languages!
So I can't tell when in the whole process the languages became available because in between I hadn't tried clicking the greyed-out menu.
-> Maybe you could fix that menu being greyed out when it shouldn't be.

Now there's only one little issue, not very important: The list entries appear twice. Except Czech, this only once, but which I never conciously installed. So the list reads: Czech, German, German, English, English, French, French, Spanish, Spanish. When I check one of them an re-open the dialogue, the choice reads, "German, German" and both checkboxes are checked. So If I could somehow remove the duplicate entries, this would be nice.

One more question: As these are checkboxes that allow multiple selections: Is it actually true that both languages are used, if I check two of them? This would be very helpful, as we have many English words in German Texts.

Best regards
Joachim
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Install additional languages - no result  SOLVED

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello jotess,

This drop down menu shows English greyed out when you do not have any language selected. This is to show you that English will be used and to differentiate of the situation when English is actually selected, the text is greyed out.

When you select multiple languages, all of them will be used during OCR.

In order to delete a language from the OCR list, you need to delete its files from the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\PluginsData\OCRLanguages

Please check if you have any duplicated files in this folder and delete them. Once done, restart the Editor and check if the drop down menu shows the language list correctly.

Regards,
Radi
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Thank you for the explanation! The behaviour of the menu still doesn't seem quite intuitive to me, but anyway, I got it now.
In the folder for the language files I could actually delete Czech, but unfortunately I didn't remember which 2 (I think 2, not 3) files they were. Of the remaining languages I have:
deu.lng
deu_pxvocr.dat
deu_pxvocr.lng
the first two with a file date from 2014 and the last from 2019. Which file(s) do I have to delete?

Best regards
Joachim
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello Joachim,

It seems like you have leftover files from an older installation.
Please delete the files from 2014 and let us know if this solves the problem.

You can also just delete all files and then re-install the desired language files using the following installers:
Base language pack: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/OCRBaseLangPack.zip (English, French, German).
All supported languages: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/OCRAdd ... sTotal.zip (You will be able to choose which ones to install during the setup).

Regards,
Radi
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Hello,
when I uninstall the 2014 files then I have the xxx_pxvocr.lng files left and XChange Editor says there are no languages installed. What the installer installs are the xxx_pxvocr.dat and xxx.lng files from 2014. And the program recognizes the installed languages and everything works correctly. So thank you, problem solved!
Best regards
Joachim
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad to hear that Joachim!

Cheers,
Stefan