OCR a pdf by a command line

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

cscat
User

OCR a pdf by a command line

Post by cscat »

I was wondering if we could expect this feature to be added to PDFXChange Viewer, so that one can execute this through command line:
PDFXCview.exe ocr -in=sample.pdf -out=sampleOCRed.pdf

I need it because I quite often have a batch of pdfs that need to be OCRed. Here PDFXCview doesn't even need to open, it'd be alright if it just runs in background.

As another request, it would be more efficient, if one can read other pdfs or do whatever he wants when an OCR process is running. This can be done for example by putting a "run in background" button on the dialog window of "OCR processing pages".

Thanks
Last edited by cscat on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Re: OCR a pdf by a command line

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

cscat wrote:I was wondering if we could expect this feature to be added to PDFXChange Viewer, so that one can execute this through command line:
PDFXCview.exe ocr -in=sample.pdf -out=sampleOCRed.pdf

I need it because I quite often have a batch of pdfs that need to be OCRed. Here PDFXCview doesn't even need to open, it'd be alright if it just runs in background.

Thanks
At the moment we do not have this feature but I will see if we can add something like this in the future; no promises as we have a lot of other functionality to finish testing in our upcoming major release.

It would certainly be possible (and quite easy) to create a simple command line utility with the OCR Tools SDK, in fact, our SDK currently comes with a test project that essentially does this. If you are a developer you could buy the SDK and implement this in no time.

Perhaps you can talk to sales and see if we can work our an arrangement with you to provide a simple command line tool for you, but I don't want to make promises we cannot keep as I am a developer, and this decision will be up to the sales and management teams.

-Walter
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: OCR a pdf by a command line

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

The ability create a script within the Viewer for batch processing of sorts is coming in Version 3 and therefore I am afraid this will have to wait until that release.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com