Layout of text does not match graphic

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

guebert
User

Layout of text does not match graphic

Post by guebert »

Hallo,

first of all many thanks for this great feature! The OCR function is the only reason for me to have Acrobat 5 still in use. ;-)

The result of the new OCR function seems to be "wrong sized" , because the text does not match the graphic. Please have a look at the files attached.

(Same problem is reported here: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 35&t=12327)

Many thanks,

Michael
Attachments
OCR+Screenshot.zip
(298.25 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Layout of text does not match graphic

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi guebert,

see my answer on that other post you referred to. Try rasterizing the entire page during the OCR process using "Convert Page Content to Image only - Add Text as layer". Doing this on your page resulted in correct placement of the OCR test layer. See attachment.

hth
Attachments
OCR.zip
(967.05 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Unfortunately this option produced a much bigger file (2,5MB) than the PDF out of my scanner (350 kB), so it's not a good solution.

Please post, when the layout problem was really fixed.

Many thanks,

Michael
Jamie - Tracker Supp
User

Post by Jamie - Tracker Supp »

Hi guebert,

We will have our OCR developer take a look when he returns from vacation next week.

Regards,
Jamie.
mhill
User

Post by mhill »

Ditto. At first, the OCR does not appear to have any function at all--the first thing I tried was to search for some clearly readable text. When I found another forum post that notes that the text is available for copying and pasting, I discovered that text was indeed there in the bottom left corner of my page. OK, that's useful for indexing pdfs and locating the page where text appears. Then I found your suggestion about converting to an image. That indeed works to align the text to the image, but the image size an order of magnitude larger than the fax image files I'm testing with, even at 150dpi.

I bet that your developers could find a scale factor to fix and get it to work with the Preserve Original Content option.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi mhill and guebert,

your points are taken, and we will be looking into this.

Do remember that this is a free offering - not a paid for product and it is really only intended as a way to make documents searchable and/or copy paste into other documents.

Regardless, we do appreciate the feedback and will endeavour to make this better in the coming weeks and months.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

This is a bug. I will work with the relevant Viewer OCR developer team members to ensure that this is corrected. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

-Walter
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

Just an update: we have fixed this issue in our development version and so you can expect it repaired with the next release!

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention.

-Walter
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Walter-Tracker Supp wrote:Just an update: we have fixed this issue in our development version and so you can expect it repaired with the next release!
Many thanks! I know, "it's ready, when it's ready", but maybe you can tell me, if it will be this month or ... ;-)

Michael
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Michael,

I don't have an exact date for the next build, but we do usually release them about 6-8 weeks apart now with most of the team focused on ver3.

Best,
Stefan
enaef
User

Post by enaef »

Hi

First - A big thank also from me :!: I am very happy about this feature :D . I work with the pro version and I certainly would be willing to pay for an advanced OCR functionality!
One feature I wish is the ability to OCR documents which have mixed horizontal and vertical orientation.

I had the same problem (text noch matching graphic) this morning and found with this thread that I'm not the only one. Thanks for fixing it in the next release. (Besides inexing and being able to copy past I also am happy to being able to use the text tools (such as highlighting) when OCR works correct).

Ernst
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thank you for the kind words Ernst!

You can be sure we are working on improving our OCR engine as much as possible!

Cheers,
Stefan
enaef
User

Post by enaef »

Hi
The problem regarding the layout text not matching the graphic seems really to be fixed with the new .201 release.

Thanks a lot :!: :D

Ernst
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Ernst,

And thanks for the update - glad to hear that!

Cheers,
Stefan