How can one correct the OCR'd text in a document?

Discussion for the End User use uf OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Paul - Tracker Supp, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

coffent
User

How can one correct the OCR'd text in a document?

Post by coffent » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:31 pm

I've copied and pasted into Notepad the text from a document I OCR'd and see there are numerous errors. How can these be corrected in the PDF document? I've looked under both the Convert and the Review headings and don't see anything relevant. Thanks.

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: How can one correct the OCR'd text in a document?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Hello Coffent,

Text resulting from the OCR operation is "base content" text and thus can be edited with the "Edit text" tool, on the home tab:
image.png
I hope this helps!
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623

SJH
User

Post by SJH » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:22 am

Hello,
I was attracted to your product because of the OCR, also, that it is available as 'Portable':

1)For my needs, an OCR product should have strong text editing ability, and particularly ,
robust 'Find and Replace'. I'm hoping you have, good 'Find and Replace' (for
OCR text), but I couldn't find it ?

Example: I used your OCR on a good quality, test scan, (good resolution, easily
recognizable font). Easy test and the recognition was excellent, but for
one error. Every instance of the letter 'a', with a space on either side,
was recognized as the letter 'o' (" a boy" was recognized as " o boy",
One error with *innumerable* instances. Not an issue with 'Find and
Replace' :) . Tedious, time consuming editing, without :( .

2)Am I correct, that PDF-XChange Editor, and Editor Plus, is available in portable version,
but PDF-XChange Editor Pro is not (portable version download was not an option) ?

Thank-You

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi, SJH

Unfortunately we do not currently offer a find and replace function, but it has been a topic of discussion and considering recently. I cannot make any promises for a timeline as it is a much more complex function that you might expect, but it is something that we hope to eventually be able to offer.

As for the portable versions, There is no product called "Editor PRO", the PDF-XChange PRO bundle which you see on the website is a package including all three of our most popular products, The PDF-Tools batch processing utility, the PDF-Xchange Standard printer, and the PDF-XChange Editor Plus. From this package, only the Editor is able to run as a portable app, so we do not offer a "portable" download for the PRO bundle. You can however, download the portable Editor from the product page, and if you hold a PRO key, it will correctly cover the portable version as well.

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician

SJH
User

Post by SJH » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 am

Thank-you for your reply Daniel,

> it has been a topic of discussion

Thanks for pointing that out, I had tried several search strings but nothing came up. After reading your reply, I tried others and found the threads, that you referenced.

> it is something that we hope to eventually be able to offer

I gather, that hope, goes back, quite a few years ;-) But at least I can stop looking for 'Replace', in the program, and, revert to finding work-arounds .

> You can however, download the portable Editor from the product page, and if you hold a PRO key, it will correctly cover the portable version as well.

Thank-you. I will assume (until you tell me differently) that 'PDF-Tools' and 'PDF-Xchange Standard Printer' are independent from,
'PDF-XChange Editor Plus', so that, it makes no difference to the former two, whether 'PDF-XChange Editor' is system installed, or portable.

Sorry, It was undoubtedly the wrong forum to ask that question, but wanted to finish the thought.

SJH

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi, SJH

No worries, its part of the discussion, so there are no "off topic" questions. You are correct that Tools and Standard are separate products, though the PRO installer would include all three. I cannot say that the others would be unaffected however, as it is not possible to install Tools without also installing the Editor, they are intrinsically intertwined and reference many of the same functions and files at this stage.

The advantage to the Portable Editor is that it does not require installation, you can actually have multiple versions of it present on a single machine (and still have the installed version present, separate from those), as I do for testing purposes.

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician