OCR in V7

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Timur Born
User

OCR in V7

Post by Timur Born »

Hello.

Did Editor get a new OCR module in V7 as was announced earlier?

I did a quick check and saw the following results:

- OCR seems to use one CPU thread per page. So a single page only uses a single CPU thread, multiple pages use multiple threads.

- OCR still does not insert any "original white spaces" in between words of its own text layer.

- Automatic deskew can improve results in some parts of a part, but worsen results in others. I have one document where both Medium and deskewed Low/High turn "40qm" to 4q", only undeskewed Low/High results in the correct "40qm" being detected.

- OCR results differ between medium and high, but I don't know if high is supposed to always get better results now (in the past medium could beat high). Seeing how both Low and High could correctly detect the "40qm" example, I suspect that Medium still is "special"?!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: OCR in V7

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Timur,

The new OCR module is still being worked on, but as soon as it is ready - we will make the switch - and simply installing the new build that includes the new OCR module will update it at your end as well. For the moment I do not have an exact date when this will happen - but we will announce it when we have such a date.

Regards,
Stefan