Page number range is unintentionally added by dragging pages between Thumbnails pane in build 362  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rakunavi
User

Page number range is unintentionally added by dragging pages between Thumbnails pane in build 362

Post by rakunavi »

=== UPDATE ===================================================================
The issue reported below has been resolved in Ver 9.5 build 365.
I appreciate all the hard work and efforts of the support and development team.
==============================================================================

Hello all,

After updating to Ver 9.4 build 362, I have found that dragging pages between the Thumbnails pane unintentionally add a new page number range. The same operation in build 361 does not add a new page number range, and works as intended. It seems to be related to the following update in build 362, but this update should not change the behavior for the page numbers when dragging pages between the Thumbnails pane.

• Added the option to be able to use a selected page (in the Thumbnails Pane) when creating a page range in the Page Numbering Tool. (T# 5976)
    https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor/history#9.4.362.0
    https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?p=158444
Therefore, it is most likely a bug newly introduced in Ver 9.4 build 362. The issue occurs not only by dragging pages between Thumbnails pane, but also by copying and pasting pages using keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V) between Thumbnails pane.

I have captured a video of the exact same operation in build 361 and build 362, please see the video for details. The verification was done after reinstalling the application and resetting the settings in "Manage Settings...". All settings are defaults except for the language settings.

The video uses "Test A.pdf" and "Test B.pdf" consisting of 10 pages for verification. Each file is quite simple, with pages numbered by a header feature. Page 1 of Test B is added between pages 5 and 6 of Test A by dragging a page between the Thumbnails pane. In build 362, if you check the "Number Pages" on "Organize" tab after the addition, the page number range will be added unintentionally.

In the above verification, the anomaly can be confirmed only by opening the page numbering dialog. However, depending on the preconfiguration, page numbers may be assigned unintentionally and the issue can be verified without opening the page numbering dialog. A verification video of this is also attached. Please note that the page numbers that appear below each page in the Thumbnails pane are "1 2 3 4 5 1 6 7 8 9 10".

I hope that the upcoming "point release" update will include a patch for this issue.
Thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards,
rakunavi

- PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version:9.4 build 362.0
- OS Version: Windows 10 Home/Pro 21H2 Build 19044.1889
- PC Model: Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL / HP ProDesk 600G1
Last edited by rakunavi on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
PHK
User

Re: Page number range is unintentionally added by dragging pages between Thumbnails pane in build 362

Post by PHK »

Whilst I have not viewed the zip videos, I must agree that anomalous page numbering has been going on in my v.362, too, when I re-arrange thumbnails. Unfortunately, I did not take notes of the exact circumstances for reporting at the time as I had rather assumed that I had messed it up somehow. I was working on a +/-150-page document file where I had done nothing with respect to page-numbering, selectively merging groups of 3, 4, or 5 letter-size pages. Those newly merged page-sheets are always added at the bottom of the page stack (Grrr!) and I was then repositioning the sheets to the place in the stack from whence the source pages came. The page numbering then was reset to start at 99 (not by me) on some occasions. I have no idea why it was some of the time but not all the time.

Therefore, I support rakunavi's plea to have a look at this.
All best,

FringePhil
rakunavi
User

Re: Page number range is unintentionally added by dragging pages between Thumbnails pane in build 362

Post by rakunavi »

Hi PHK, thank you for your comment.

I first reported that the issue occurs when opening multiple files and operating between Thumbnails panes, but it also occurs when using shortcut keys (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V) to move pages within a single file.

As a workaround, when pasting pages via the clipboard, if you use "Insert Pages -> Insert pages from Clipboard..." in the options menu of the Thumbnails pane instead of using the shortcut keys (Ctrl+V), this issue will not occur.

InsertPagesFromClipboard.png

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

rakunavi wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:16 pm ...
As a workaround, when pasting pages via the clipboard, if you use "Insert Pages -> Insert pages from Clipboard..." in the options menu of the Thumbnails pane instead of using the shortcut keys (Ctrl+V), this issue will not occur.
Thanks for that but a fix is still in order.
All best,

FringePhil
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Just to elaborate on rakunavi's post below
rakunavi wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:34 pm ...The video uses "Test A.pdf" and "Test B.pdf" consisting of 10 pages for verification. Each file is quite simple, with pages numbered by a header feature. Page 1 of Test B is added between pages 5 and 6 of Test A by dragging a page between the Thumbnails pane. In build 362, if you check the "Number Pages" on "Organize" tab after the addition, the page number range will be added unintentionally.

In the above verification, the anomaly can be confirmed only by opening the page numbering dialog. However, depending on the preconfiguration, page numbers may be assigned unintentionally and the issue can be verified without opening the page numbering dialog. A verification video of this is also attached. Please note that the page numbers that appear below each page in the Thumbnails pane are "1 2 3 4 5 1 6 7 8 9 10"...
any and maybe all pages dragged from one file to another (with defined page numberings) will not be integrated into the stipulated page-numbering regime. Therefore, the above example will not just be "1 2 3 4 5 1 6 7 8 9 10", but "1 2 3 4 5 1 1 1 1 6 7 8 9 10" etc.

In other words, the pages that are pasted into the target document bring with them their old page numbering range which is becomes part of the target document file.
All best,

FringePhil
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Page number range is unintentionally added by dragging pages between Thumbnails pane in build 362  SOLVED

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

It will be fixed in the upcoming build. Thanks for the detailed report.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Vasyl,

I am relieved to share our situation with you.
I'm looking forward to future updates.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Page number range is unintentionally added by dragging pages between Thumbnails pane in build 362

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com