preset file name for scans

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

wannerlaufer
User

preset file name for scans

Post by wannerlaufer »

Hi there,

could not find anything about this using search.
Is there a way to preset the file name when you scan a new dokument? I'd like to have a file name which consists of the date, a batch number...
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: preset file name for scans

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello wannerlaufer,

No - this is not possible. The new scan will be created as "New Document" and then you need to explicitly save it under your desired filename.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

On the other hand, the user could produce new, nearly-empty files (File->New Document->With Blank Pages) naming the files as needed and then insert the new scanned pages (Insert->Insert Scanned Pages) into those files. If one wanted to create a series of nearly-empty target files, that could be achieved by specifying an appropriate number of pages when creating the new document with blank pages. Then, you could Extract those pages using the Output Options to create a series of nearly-empty files based on the pages created above. See https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsBVtdXZAI89j8xu23wN7VzYcp-oLA?e=f05RWg for some examples of what I am proposing.

Of course, I do not know what "wannerlaufer" is trying to achieve and this may be more trouble than it is worth, but it is a possibility and may be a basis for finding a solution. But the point is that not all new scans have to go to new documents.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PHK,

Thanks for the suggestion but it is likely a bit overkill indeed :)
Another option might be if they can scan those images and e.g. the Scanner's software allows creating images with the desired templates for the names, and they can then use the Editor/Tools to convert those images to PDF files and can then 'reuse' the filenames of the images.
This will split the process in to:
- scanning (with another tool) and naming at the same time using macros
- then taking the image files and converting them to PDFs (with or without OCR) - with the names of the images used for the PDF file names.

Kind regards,
Stefan
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

We don't know what OP is trying to achieve or what problems they are trying to overcome so we don't know what might work for them. It is a little dampening for the company to say simply something "is not possible" and then offer a pre-emptive negative judgment on a third-party suggestion when we don't know if a more complex work-around, whether yours, mine or someone else's, might succeed even whilst appearing to be "overkill" to those whose problem it is not.
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi PHK,

I can see the value of your suggestion, even if it turns out to not be what the user wanted, others may benefit from the discussion.
I don't think Stefan meant any offense. You are very active on here and your input is very much appreciated.

Lets see what the OP intended.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Guenter927
User

Post by Guenter927 »

wannerlaufer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:02 am Hi there,

could not find anything about this using search.
Is there a way to preset the file name when you scan a new dokument? I'd like to have a file name which consists of the date, a batch number...
I would like to come back to the original question.
I agree with "wannerlaufer" and miss a preset of the filename too.
Is there any chance to introduce it for the backlog of development roadmap?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Guenter927

I am afraid that it is highly unlikely, the Scan function itself does not save the files itself and so has no control over this process, it only inserts the pages into an existing file, this is true whether that file already existed, or if the editor needed to create a new file for those pages to be inserted into.
"Pre-naming" an unsaved file is not something we have offered to date, and not something that I have seen any of our competition offer either. It could also cause some deal of confusion, as the name "new document" is a very strong reminder that the current file is brand new, only exists in memory, and has not been saved as of yet in any capacity; Creating new files with another unique name, would complicate that and could lead people to forget to save their files, possibly leading to data loss.

We also do not have any way to pull information from a scanned document at this time, so even if we did entertain the idea, it would likely require some hefty background work, and the creation of a new feature or three, before we could even start on this suggestion in a way that honors the originally expressed desire (pulling the "date" [current or pulled from a scanned page? we don't know] and a nondescript "batch number" [also from within the scanned pages] into the file name).

As it stands, the best solution will vary from file to file, and each persons use case, but I expect that one of the methods mentioned above will help, or simply scanning and immediately saving the file/applying your desired name manually may be the way to go.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com