Very slow first opening of PDF (afterwards, fast)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ismdiego
User

Very slow first opening of PDF (afterwards, fast)

Post by ismdiego »

Dear Tracker,

While using the PDF-XChange Editor (free license) I am experiencing a very annoying slow-down then first opening a PDF. Apparently it does not matter the size (both 100 kb and 100 Mb PDFs).

The problem appears also both opening files from network and from local drive (ie: from desktop).

I am using Windows 10 x64 latest version, and also PDF-XChange Editor latest version (just updated now).

When you close the PDF-XChange Editor and reopen a previously opened PDF, it loads fast (normal speed, under 1 sec). But, again, when you try to open a new PDF it takes 7-8 seconds to even display the application buttons and menus, and then the PDF.

This is happening two-three months from now. My PC hardware is the same and others application work well (so I suspect it is not a hardware/OS problem).

I have tried also disabling the internal windows security realtime scan, with no success. I mean, the same slown-down appears when first opening a PDF.

What else can I do?

Thank you very much.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Very slow first opening of PDF (afterwards, fast)

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ismdiego,

Welcome to our forums and thanks for your post.
Our Editor needs to load a few things at the time you load it initially in memory. This includes plug-ins, and some of those plug-ins might also make some preliminary checks (e.g. the SharePoint plug-in might need to check network locations and see if some of them are SharePoint ones).

So it is inevitable that the initial load of the Editor will take a bit longer, but if you do not use SharePoint - you can try to disable that plug-in and see if it helps with the initial start up.

Kind regards,
Stefan
YUM1
User

Post by YUM1 »

Hi Stefan,

all plug-ins are off and the problem persists. Is there another configuration to speed up the first opening of PDF?

Thank you very much!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello YUM1,

Other than stopping plug-ins you do not need there is no other way to really reduce the initial load time.
Pretty much all software would need some initial set up to load it's own components, and the more complex it is the longer it would take to do that initial set up. (E.g. notepad would always launch 'instantly', while a heavy 3D game might take several minutes to load).

If you keep the Editor open throughout the day (or do not close it for extended periods of time) - it's components should remain in memory, so subsequent loads will be faster.

Kind regards,
Stefan
YUM1
User

Post by YUM1 »

Hi Stefan,

PDF-XChange first start is really slow, and it's not a heavy 3D game. We mostly use it to open and view PDFs quickly. Please pass our wish to the developers to provide a quick start. If edit functions are used then you can load all components/plug-ins for it.

Thank you very much!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello YUM1,

I could still not see a significant slow down of the first start of the Editor on my machine, however a colleague of mine mentioned that there might be something we could ask you to try. I've sent you an e-mail with a file and instructions what to do with it - so please do give it a try and let us know the result!

Kind regards,
Stefan