Updating PDF-Xchange Pro seems to produce 2 parallel installations

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

asdf3sthdhawer53
User

Updating PDF-Xchange Pro seems to produce 2 parallel installations

Post by asdf3sthdhawer53 »

In December when I updated from 9.0.352.0 to 9.2.359.0 with the installer downloaded from the account website, it seemed to create a new installation without removing the old version, so that I have both versions listed in Windows settings apps and features. The list shows that the newer one takes up 1.06 GB of space, while the old one takes 1.40 GB.

The Tracker Software folder in Program Files seems to only contain 1 installation. I forgot to check the disk space before, but running the uninstaller for 9.0.352.0 only took a few seconds. Afterwards the Tracker Software folder was only 528MB.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Updating PDF-Xchange Pro seems to produce 2 parallel installations

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, asdf3sthdhawer53

This is most commonly not a case of the software failing to remove the previous version of the software, but a case of you having run the incorrect product installer, either previously, or this time. As some of our installers include overlapping products, installing one while another is present, can result in the situation you have described, where one of them has not be updated. To resolve this, uninstall ALL tracker software products from your PC, and then run the correct installer for use with your license, which is always available from your account page.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
asdf3sthdhawer53
User

In December, I did download and run the installer from the account page. At the time, I don't remember if there was 1 or 2 options.
Today when I visited the account page, I now see 2 installers PDF-XChange Editor and PDF-XChange Editor Plus, however the checksum for both are identical, so I assume that they are the same.
(Edit: the ProV9.x64.msi installer that I downloaded in December has a different file size of 378 MB even though they should have the same release number)
adsfasdfdasdasf.jpg
When I complete the install (I chose PDF-XChange Editor Plus, I assume either installer would be the same), and run the program, it says PDF-XChange Editor Plus.

However, from what I remembered back in 2020, I thought the Plus was called Enhanced OCR and was an additional plugin or else an additional license key on top of the PDF-XChange Editor Pro installer.

Plus links now go to Editor and not Pro, and confusingly the Pro page mentions Plus, so I assume that Plus has been integrated into Pro or else is simply part of the basic Editor? (edit: I see now that the purchase page for Editor has both Editor and Editor Plus options.)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, asdf3sthdhawer53

The two installers offered for the "Editor" and "Editor plus" are indeed identical, and will install the exact same application, and will remove the previous version, that is not the cause of the problem you encountered though.
asdf3sthdhawer53 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:31 am the ProV9.x64.msi installer that I downloaded in December
This is the problem. "the ProV9.exe" installer, is for our "PDF-XChange PRO" product, which is a separate installer from the Editor, as it includes the Editor as only one of the 3 components that are within it.

This is why I said it is important to download the software directly from your Account page, and not from the downloads page. Doing this will ensure that you have only the correct applications installed, and will not incorrectly see demo stamps appearing on your files. It is best to uninstall ALL software published by "Tracker software products" via the windows control panel, then sign in, and use the download link presented on your user account page directly.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
asdf3sthdhawer53
User

My original purchase was for PDF-XChange PRO + Enhanced OCR Plugin 8.0.343.0.

The account page says PDF-XChange PRO.

I see now further down at the bottom of the download section of the account page, there is the installer for PDF-Xchange Pro. Downloading it is ProV9.x64.msi, and it has the same checksum as the one I downloaded and installed back in December.

I did download all past installers from the accounts page.

What was in the list of Apps in Windows settings with the 2 parallel installations was:

PDF-XChange PRO 9.0.352.0 1.40 GB
(update/removal of the originally installed PDF-XChange PRO + Enhanced OCR Plugin 8.0.343.0, possibly from PDFXPRO9.zip 9.0.350.0, January 2021, update to 9.0.352.0 probably from the internal update function)

PDF-XChange PRO 9.2.359.0 1.06 GB
(installer downloaded from accounts page in December 2021, ProV9.x64.msi)

The parallel installations both came from downloading the installer for Pro from the accounts page, and the newer one did not remove the older one.

Yesterday when I uninstalled both of the Pro and then installed PDF-Xchange Editor installer:
PDF-XChange Editor 9.2.359.0 830 MB

I've now uninstalled Editor and reinstalled Pro:
PDF-XChange PRO 9.2.359.0 1.06 GB
(installer downloaded from accounts page in today)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, asdf3sthdhawer53

Glad to hear that it has been resolved now, and sorry for the trouble encountered along the way.

Regarding your question about the EOCR that I just noticed I missed earlier. In Version 8, EOCR was an optional addition, dues to our contract with the creators of the plugin (LEADTOOLS). We found that the quality of that engine was lacking, and with the release of V9 we signed a new agreement with a different EOCR develoer (ABBYY). Their plugin an included part of our "Editor Plus" and "PDF-XChange PRO" licenses now, and as such is not listed separately as a plugin any longer.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com