Advanced and qualified e-signature with XChange Editor  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Zulu94
User

Advanced and qualified e-signature with XChange Editor

Post by Zulu94 »

Hi,

does the "normal" signature within pdf XChange Editor (when I press the button sign document and use certificate out of certificate store) a simple or an advanced e-signature according to eIDAS regulation? Is there also a way to include qualified e-signatures within the tool that will be provided by a certification authority (CA)? If so, are these CAs limited or should the officially accepted CAs in every country work for that?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

All the best
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Advanced and qualified e-signature with XChange Editor

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Zulu94,

thanks for the post and excellent question.

As I understand it, there the digital signature to which you refer is not an "e-signature" as defined by them, but a "digital signature" and as such is neither a "Simple Electronic Signature (SES)", an "Advanced Electronic Signature (AES)", nor even a "Qualified Electronic Signature (QES)". https://sectigo.com/resource-library/wh ... regulation

We do have the "Signatures and initials" panel, and as it is it looks to me to fit the "Simple Electronic Signature (SES)".

I assume you are looking for a way to apply an SES or even an AES via the Editor?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi again Zulu94,

I spoke to the development team leader about this and if you use the "CAdES" "Signature format" on a digital signature it should be compliant with an AES or a QES.
image.png
I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Zulu94
User

Post by Zulu94 »

Hi Paul,

thanks for your help and the information. That definitely helps. However, how safe is the answer "should be compliant" with an AES or QES. For a QES there is definitely an additional Certification Authority needed that confirms the identity of the signer. Is this definitely possible to implement? As far as I can see the "CAdES Signature format" equals an AES, right?

Thank you for your help
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Advanced and qualified e-signature with XChange Editor  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Zulu94,

You would of course need the appropriate certificate issued by a recognized certification authority, and with the settings Paul outlined above - it should work. We say "should" as there are a myriad of variables when it comes to signing PDF files and having that signature conform to a specific format. We believe that the solution offered will work for you, but if it does not - will be happy to look at this further. Please try to sign a file with those settings and then see if it will be accepted by the authority that requires these files.

Kind regards,
Stefan