Underline > line thickness

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Galactic_Andy
User

Post by Galactic_Andy »

I wish to format the underline thickness, as the current underline is very fine / too fine.

As with other forms, I would like to be able to change the underline thickness, for example, from 0.5 pt to 3 pt (Attachment 2).

Attachment 1.jpg
Attachment 2.jpg
Attachment 2.jpg (14.94 KiB) Viewed 561 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Underline > line thickness

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Galactic_Andy

It seems that you have already found where to change the thickness, so I assume that you are wanting to change the default style for future uses of the underline tool. That can be done by following the steps here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... DF-XChange

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Galactic_Andy
User

Post by Galactic_Andy »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:09 pm Hello, Galactic_Andy

It seems that you have already found where to change the thickness, so I assume that you are wanting to change the default style for future uses of the underline tool. That can be done by following the steps here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/139-How-do-I-set-the-default-style-of-annotations-in-PDF-XChange

Kind regards,

Your link didn't help as on the underline formatting to option the change the thickness of the underline stroke is not available. That's what I'm asking / looing for (attachment 1) in a future update of PDF-X-Change.
attachment 1.jpg
Kind regards,
Galactic Andy
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Andy,

thanks for the clarification. The thickness of those underlines are dictated by the font metrics. The PDF specification does not actually provide a method to manage the thickness of these lines per se, leaving it up to the developer to decide how font attributes should be used to determine the thickness.

The long and the short of things is that while we do have plans to do something around giving more control over the thickness, it is not a high priority, it's not going to eventuate in the next few months at least.

Sorry for the "bad news". :-(
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Galactic_Andy
User

Post by Galactic_Andy »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:17 pm Hi Andy,

thanks for the clarification. The thickness of those underlines are dictated by the font metrics. The PDF specification does not actually provide a method to manage the thickness of these lines per se, leaving it up to the developer to decide how font attributes should be used to determine the thickness.

The long and the short of things is that while we do have plans to do something around giving more control over the thickness, it is not a high priority, it's not going to eventuate in the next few months at least.

No worries and good to know.
Thank you Paul for the update.

Kind regards, Andy
Galactic_Andy
User

Post by Galactic_Andy »

Galactic_Andy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:52 am
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:17 pm Hi Andy,

No worries and good to know.
Thank you Paul for the update.

Kind regards, Andy

In attachment 1 you see the underline done by Foxit PDF Editor with a good thickness.
In attachment 2 the underline was done by PDF x-change with a thickness too fine.

1 underline done by foxit pdf editor.jpg
2 underline done by pdf x-change.jpg
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

There is already a feature request ticket created in our internal ticket system for this feature:

#5170: FR: Adding ability to set the line thickness of the underline tool

I will add you as one of the requestors so when the feature is implemented you will be notified.

Regards.
Galactic_Andy
User

Post by Galactic_Andy »

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:57 am Hi,

There is already a feature request ticket created in our internal ticket system for this feature:

#5170: FR: Adding ability to set the line thickness of the underline tool

I will add you as one of the requestors so when the feature is implemented you will be notified.

Regards.
Much appreciated. Thank you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)