Semibold Issue (Fonts cannot be Bolded)  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Toygun
User

Semibold Issue (Fonts cannot be Bolded)

Post by Toygun »

Hello,

I use semibold font on the interface. Because it's more legible. However, bookmarks (on the panel) cannot be bolded. This issue only occurs with semibold and some medium fonts.

Then I realized, the font problem occurs in all text boxes (add/insert/highlight/note texts), not just the panel.

In short, semibold or medium fonts cannot be bolded or italicized most of the time.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Semibold Issue (Fonts cannot be Bolded)

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Toygun,

Could you please tell me what version is your PDF Editor?

You can see that information in the PDF Editor's Help -> About menu.

Also, could you please send us one of the files you have this problem with so we can try to find the cause?

Regards.
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

Hello Dimitar,

⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Font 01 (PDF-XChange).png
⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—

This issue occurs with all files.

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:13 pm Hello Toygun,

Could you please tell me what version is your PDF Editor?

You can see that information in the PDF Editor's Help -> About menu.

Also, could you please send us one of the files you have this problem with so we can try to find the cause?

Regards.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Toygun,

Thank you for the provided information.

Please update your product to the latest version and then check if this resolves the problem.

You can download the latest version at this location:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

If the problem is still not resolved after the update, please do send us one of your files, because we cannot reproduce the problem with any of the files we have.

Regards.
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

Hello Dimitar,

Interesting. There was no update. I downloaded and installed; but it's not fixed, the problem persists.
⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Font 02 (PDF-XChange).png
⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—

Also, with this update, the appearance of the tabs has changed. How can I change the skin of the tabs? :|
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Toygun,

Thank you for trying that.

In that case, we really need one of your files so we can investigate the reason for this.

As for the appearance, you can customize it with the help of this menu:

image.png

Regards.
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

Hello Dimitar,

First of all thank you for your replies.

I attached a sample file:
—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Font 03b (PDF-XChange).png
⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
New Document.pdf
(57.19 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
⁠⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
As for the appearance, you can customize it with the help of this menu:
I tried this; I can't change "tab skins" with these settings. Those settings were effective in the previous version. Or I failed.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Toygun

This is not an error, the font you have selected does not have a "bold" option, and thus cannot be bolded. As it is already semi-bold, the only function that can be applied to it is italics.

As and example, you can see in the Segoe UI font family, from the windows Fonts menu, that there is no "semibold Bold" or "semibold bold italic".
image.png
Because of this, the "bold" flag has no effect on the semibold fonts whatsoever. In some other situations, "font simulation" can occur (MS Word is a good example of this), where they will apply technically non-existent effects to fonts, but at the moment, we do not offer this functionality

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

I was going to write "these fonts can be bolded in word". Okay.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:49 pmIn some other situations, "font simulation" can occur (MS Word is a good example of this), where they will apply technically non-existent effects to fonts, but at the moment, we do not offer this functionality

Kind regards,

Roboto Medium looks good in the bookmarks panel. I chose this font right now.

Fonts in text boxes aren't a big deal to me, but I wanted to report the issue.

Finally, I hope tab skins are fixed in the future. In the light theme, dark skin and prominent tabs looked better.

Thanks again, have a nice day.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Toygun

It is unlikely that the font handling will change any time soon on this end, but perhaps one day in the future.

As for your mention of fixing tab skins, I am unsure what exactly you mean? Can you elaborate there please?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

I finally found a neat screenshot of the old version. I hope the following images will be self explanatory.

Old version:
⁠⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Font 04 (PDF-XChange).png
⁠⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Last version:
⁠⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—
Font 05 (PDF-XChange).png
Font 05 (PDF-XChange).png (11.92 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
⁠⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—⁠—

As you can see, the pattern does not apply to the tab.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:41 pm Hello, Toygun

As for your mention of fixing tab skins, I am unsure what exactly you mean? Can you elaborate there please?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Semibold Issue (Fonts cannot be Bolded)  SOLVED

Hello, Toygun

This was an Intentional change, but our UI team is being very receptive to feedback in this area, so I will pass this along to them and see if it may change. In the meantime, I should point out that the color of the tab, is dependent on the "highlight" color you specify in the preferences:
image.png
which can result in a much more visible tab:
image.png
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

In short, Semibold & Medium fonts are not designed to be "bolded". (However they may be designed to be italicised.) For such fonts professional users are expected to choose a heavier weight themselves by changing the font.
Nevertheless, word processors and other software applications sometimes provide an artificial simulation of what a somewhat heavier version of the font could look like. They can do that even if the font designer never created a heavier font in that typeface.
One way to check this is to choose the heaviest weight of such a font series — perhaps an Extra-black (see http://clagnut.com/blog/2228/ ) — and test whether the application simulates an even heavier version of this (which 'should not' exist) when "bolding" that text.

Bold simulation is enabled for certain text in Editor (from version 9.2 build 358.0), including in annotations/comments.
Perhaps not in the bookmarks panel, although I've never tried to change the font there beyond the basic style properties (colour, bold, and italic).

See
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=36119&p=157246#p157246

—DIV
Toygun
User

Post by Toygun »

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for reply.

I know the highlight color works on tab. In the first image I added, the active tab is actually yellow. Since a window is open, the theme color appears instead of yellow. However, the pattern is not applied on the tab. I hope this will be improved in the future.

Have a nice day.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 pm Hello, Toygun

This was an international change, but our UI team is being very receptive to feedback in this area, so I will pass this along to them and see if it may change. In the meantime, I should point out that the color of the tab, is dependent on the "highlight" color you specify in the preferences:
image.png
which can result in a much more visible tab:
image.png

Kind regards,
Hello DIV,

Thanks for information.
DIV wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:10 am In short, Semibold & Medium fonts are not designed to be "bolded". (However they may be designed to be italicised.) For such fonts professional users are expected to choose a heavier weight themselves by changing the font.
Nevertheless, word processors and other software applications sometimes provide an artificial simulation of what a somewhat heavier version of the font could look like. They can do that even if the font designer never created a heavier font in that typeface.
One way to check this is to choose the heaviest weight of such a font series — perhaps an Extra-black (see http://clagnut.com/blog/2228/ ) — and test whether the application simulates an even heavier version of this (which 'should not' exist) when "bolding" that text.

Bold simulation is enabled for certain text in Editor (from version 9.2 build 358.0), including in annotations/comments.
Perhaps not in the bookmarks panel, although I've never tried to change the font there beyond the basic style properties (colour, bold, and italic).

See
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=36119&p=157246#p157246

—DIV
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi guys!

We are looking at it, and considering the options. I cannot promise any changes here right now, but I expect we will be seeing gradual improvements over time.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com